1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: unknown device after installing new graphics card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fenderjaguar, Jun 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fenderjaguar

fenderjaguar Thread Starter

i just installed a radeon x800 gto. previous card was a radeon x300. it seems to have installed fine. i get "x800 primary/secondary" under the display adapters in device manager.

but there is also an unknown device in device manager. i have tried the "update" driver with the video card drivers cd in the drive. i have tried downloading the latest drivers from the ati site. the card has a power lead and i have connected that too. does anyone know what this is?

windows xp
    abit sg-95 motherboard
    intel pentium D
    1024mb ram

2. fenderjaguar

solved. what had actually happened was when i put the card in, it had pushed into one of the empty memory modules clips. whether this was making the computer think that there was something actually in the module i don't know. it could also be that the card just wasn't seated properly because it was kind of forced against the clip and didn't seem to be in the pci express slot just right

3. fenderjaguar

well, i thought this thread was solved. i uninstalled all the drivers (because i was worried they may not have been installed correctly, if the card wasn't seated properly). when i boot up again, the device manager is asking me to put the drivers cd in. so i did and it installs the drivers automatically. but then it asked me to put the cd in for the "unknown" device. this is wierd. anyways, i just cancelled and rebooted. now, when i look in device manager, there is no mention of the unknown device. there is no yellow question mark or anything...

4. fenderjaguar

ah god. i've installed the latest drivers from ati. if i install catalyst, it comes up in 4 bit colour, and i get a messege saying catalyst is not compatible with my adapter or something.

when i install just the basic drivers, i get an unknown device called "display\ntativrv01". and it's definately on the video card

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/586702

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice