1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: unknown device connected to my router(semi urgent)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tyzalee, Nov 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tyzalee

tyzalee Thread Starter

hello there, im quite new to this and im quite worried that someone is using my net, on my router dhcp i see my devices and i also see a unix box called dream box connected to my router, ive tried using several security measures to block that device off but for some reason it always manages to reconnect, i really dont feel easy about this and im wondering if someone could guide me to block this device off completely? any more information needed i can provide , thank you and i apologise for any typo of mispellings as im pouring everything out and typing it as i go before i forget anything .

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    make and model of the router
    do you have wireless if so have you setup the wireless security at all ?

what devices do you have connected ?

3. tyzalee

tyzalee Thread Starter

i have 2 dynalink routers, main one is the rta1335 i think adsl2 cable router,

and the other one is a adsl1 wireless dynalink router with dhcp off , and it is there like a wireless hub

devices that are connected in my house is my ipod, my laptop, and my brothers laptop(wireless)

and wired is just 2 pc's

and then theres this.. dreambox

4. tyzalee

tyzalee Thread Starter

oh and yes, i even tried mac address ban on that thing and it still find his way in here

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    what ip range are you using and what default gateway did you setup for both routers
    what IP address does it have?

seems strange that MAC address filtering has not blocked

have you tried WPA wireless security - from what I understand on this forum, that has not yet been broken

dreambox
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreambox

i would switch everything off and see when it appears - maybe switch off the wireless and see when it appears

6. tyzalee

tyzalee Thread Starter

wireless router - (hubbing ) = 192.168.1.1, adsl2 wire router = 192.168.1.2

the problem is im active on my laptop and at the moment i dont have a place i could sit long enough to monitor without using the wireless connection,

my wireless security is wpa psk(adsl1 router) + mac filter + hidden ssid, each protocol was an addon after a fail attempt, meaning the hidden ssid was my last action against this random device.
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    I'm at a bit of lose here really - hopefully one of the network gurus will have a look later

Mac filtering should stop that MAC address from appearing
    So you have changed the SSID name and now hidden
    implemented MAC filtering
    WPA security - with a new passcode and it appears - there are some reports on google of this WPA-PSK being broken

Would need to be pretty persistent to get buy all that

do you have an option for WPA2 and do all your devices support that type of encryption?

try ping 192.168.1.4 - see if its actually on the network - or just a lease showing

would you post an ipconfg /all from your PC

8. tyzalee

tyzalee Thread Starter

correct, and no my adsl router does not have wpa2 its like 4 years old and im only using it for wireless.

ipconfig :
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

ping :
    [​IMG]

also note : when i pinged this afternoon, it worked and this was not the same result i got, but i gues he found out or something? just throwing stuff into the dark

9. tyzalee

tyzalee Thread Starter

also because its a unix box i would think this guy is trying pretty hard to get into my net??

10. tyzalee

tyzalee Thread Starter

its almost 4 am atm and heading to bed i will be back asap when i get some rest in me, ty.

11. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    or the changes you have already made have kicked him off and the lease has expired - is the device still listed in the DHCP table

the last thing i can think of, in addition to everything else - is to change to a fixed IP only - turn off the DHCP service and change the IP to something other that 192.168.x.x or the old numbers 10.x.x.x

12. tyzalee

tyzalee Thread Starter

not really quite sure how do that xD

13. notnewcivilman

notnewcivilman

Well looking up the MAC address i came to this web site: http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/en/dm-600-pvr

You wouldn't happen to have a DVR or something of that nature that you forgot would you?

From my experience with MAC address filter it works really well. Plus WPA and hidden SSID.... Come on... This guy would need to read your mind to attach to this network via wireless...

You also may want to unplug anything that is hard wired. When a device is hard wired the MAC filter is not used (from my experience may vary by brand.)

14. tyzalee

tyzalee Thread Starter

i really do not know what hackers could do these days lol i really did not want to take the chances hmm i will go look around and see if i find anything, i orginaly thought dreambox was a unix box?

15. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    have a look at the wiki link i posted in post #5

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/960610

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice