Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: unknown device connected to my router(semi urgent)

11K views 18 replies 3 participants last post by  etaf 
#1 ·
hello there, im quite new to this and im quite worried that someone is using my net, on my router dhcp i see my devices and i also see a unix box called dream box connected to my router, ive tried using several security measures to block that device off but for some reason it always manages to reconnect, i really dont feel easy about this and im wondering if someone could guide me to block this device off completely? any more information needed i can provide , thank you and i apologise for any typo of mispellings as im pouring everything out and typing it as i go before i forget anything .

#3 ·
i have 2 dynalink routers, main one is the rta1335 i think adsl2 cable router,

and the other one is a adsl1 wireless dynalink router with dhcp off , and it is there like a wireless hub

devices that are connected in my house is my ipod, my laptop, and my brothers laptop(wireless)

and wired is just 2 pc's

and then theres this.. dreambox

#5 ·
what ip range are you using and what default gateway did you setup for both routers
what IP address does it have?

seems strange that MAC address filtering has not blocked

have you tried WPA wireless security - from what I understand on this forum, that has not yet been broken

dreambox
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreambox

i would switch everything off and see when it appears - maybe switch off the wireless and see when it appears

#6 ·
wireless router - (hubbing ) = 192.168.1.1, adsl2 wire router = 192.168.1.2

the problem is im active on my laptop and at the moment i dont have a place i could sit long enough to monitor without using the wireless connection,

my wireless security is wpa psk(adsl1 router) + mac filter + hidden ssid, each protocol was an addon after a fail attempt, meaning the hidden ssid was my last action against this random device.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#7 ·
my wireless security is wpa psk(adsl1 router) + mac filter + hidden ssid
I'm at a bit of lose here really - hopefully one of the network gurus will have a look later

Mac filtering should stop that MAC address from appearing
So you have changed the SSID name and now hidden
implemented MAC filtering
WPA security - with a new passcode and it appears - there are some reports on google of this WPA-PSK being broken

Would need to be pretty persistent to get buy all that

do you have an option for WPA2 and do all your devices support that type of encryption?

try ping 192.168.1.4 - see if its actually on the network - or just a lease showing

would you post an ipconfg /all from your PC

#11 ·
or the changes you have already made have kicked him off and the lease has expired - is the device still listed in the DHCP table

the last thing i can think of, in addition to everything else - is to change to a fixed IP only - turn off the DHCP service and change the IP to something other that 192.168.x.x or the old numbers 10.x.x.x

#13 ·
Well looking up the MAC address i came to this web site: http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/en/dm-600-pvr

You wouldn't happen to have a DVR or something of that nature that you forgot would you?

From my experience with MAC address filter it works really well. Plus WPA and hidden SSID.... Come on... This guy would need to read your mind to attach to this network via wireless...

You also may want to unplug anything that is hard wired. When a device is hard wired the MAC filter is not used (from my experience may vary by brand.)

#17 ·
wow.. it is that dumb device he installed 2 months ago, dang
would you explain a little - juts to help others searching the post - in case they have the same issue

if its all OK now - would you mark as solved - button at the top of page " Mark Solved"

#18 ·
it was a random device like sky or something he had installed , along with a huge satelite dish on my backyard, i was aware that it was installed but i wasnt aware that it required a network connection as wel as the satelite dish XD

[[dreambox]]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.