1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: unknown device error

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sahasrabudhesv, Aug 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sahasrabudhesv

sahasrabudhesv Thread Starter

I have a HP630 notebook with windows 7 Home Basic OS. I upgraded it to windows 7 premium and downloaded all the drivers. These driveres were installed properly. My laptop was working fine until recently. Now the webcam is not working. Whenever, I open Skype, my webcam does not turn on and an error message is shown ' Webcam is Off. If you have integrated webcam, turn it ON'. Secondly, I noticed that device manager shows " unknown device" in USB devices. When I checked for it error code it indicates " windows has stopped this device (error code 43). I feel that stopping of webcam and unknown device error are two issues which are related to the webcam malfunctioning. I remember that webcam was working OK earlier. My question is how to solve this problem.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

There should have been no drivers to be installed. If you already had them in Home Basic, why did you change them? You should have saved the ones you had before upgrading, just in case.

3. j0hnx777

j0hnx777

Did you try uninstalling it and reinstalling it in device manager?

4. j0hnx777

j0hnx777

Also, did you try to look in Reliability Monitor to see if it had anything to say? Access Reliability Monitor from the search bar by typing Reliabiliy Monitor.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  6. sahasrabudhesv

I did install the cyber cam driver software, still the problem persists. Also tried to unstall and delete unknown device which also does not work. It seems that installing OS again is one of the options. Can any one suggest otherwise?

7. mhd1360

mhd1360

Is the webcam connected with usb or it's build-in ? if it's build-in it's not related to unknown device" in USB devices", is there something like "Imaging devices" (or something like that) category in your device manager ? Usually, build-in webcams will list under this category.

8. sahasrabudhesv

You are right. When I formatted the hard disk and reloaded Windows 7 home premium, my webcam got detected and it was shown in imaging devices. It was working also fine through you cam software. When I loaded SKYPE software, the problem reoccured. Now the webcam is gone and there is device error in USB devices with errorcode 43. I suspect that SKYPE is not suitable for 64 bit machine or it is not compatible to the web cam supplied by HP. May be some one will have answer. Finally, I have decided to forget SKYPE and use PC with webcam. Do you recommend any other software to keep it working?

9. sahasrabudhesv

The problem was in the hardware. When I contacted HP they replaced the panel which includes webcam and built in microphone. The problem was solved. Thanks to all who helped me.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1065275

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice