1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Unknown Device on my network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Eust, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Eust

Eust Thread Starter

First of all hello people, now to my problem :D.

On my network i have an unknown device, i am using a thomson speed touch router and he detects it as shown below.

[​IMG]

I tried removing it from the admin panel but it keeps comming back. Can someone tell me what that is and should i worry about that, thanks in advance.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What devices are connected to your router? Do any of them have that (static) IP address or MAC Address?

Is the router wireless? If so are you running unsecured or with WEP?

3. Eust

Eust Thread Starter

Only my 2 pcs are connected to my wireless router. One via wireless and one cable. And no i am not using wep, the thing is my router does not recognise the way that device is connected, for example for my pc it says etherport, but for that one its unknown and that device is there connected and active even when wireless is offline.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    By "wireless is offline" you mean when wireless is set in the router to disabled or off? If so, I have no idea what the "ghost" device is.

5. Eust

Eust Thread Starter

I meant wireless is turned off, i delete the device and after a min or two it comes back.

EDIT: I got my answer from a friend, as it seems Thomson ST routers ( dont know if all of them) tend to have a virtual device connected, don't know if this is on purpose or by chance but i know for certain that i am not the only one with this 3 persons i asked have the same thing, it seems there is no need for panic, hope this info helps someone , and terry m8 thx for trying to help.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thanks for that information. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/968821

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice