1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: unknown file on Desktop

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by bbsnooks, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bbsnooks

bbsnooks Thread Starter

hello,
    I have an Icon with a window's flag with the ~
    under it .. and I dont know what it is or what to do with it
    can I delete it? how do I finnd out?
    thanks
    Deb

2. LuckyStrike

LuckyStrike

3. bbsnooks

bbsnooks Thread Starter

well I went to (below) to download the patch.. and it said I needed XP... However I'm running a win98 computer here.. ( well it's my mothers..)

I wonder if there are other options for this file or..

I'm wondering .. she's had so many difficulties with the IE6 and OEXpress 6 in the past.. Is therer a way to revert back to the previous version . and would it be worth it??
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...f1-10ab-4850-9064-3070ce1f948a&displaylang=en

4. LuckyStrike

LuckyStrike

The following is from This page.

Can I Delete the ~ File?

The simple answer is yes, the file can be deleted. However if it is deleted, you wont have a backup of your Windows Address Book if a virus or something else corrupts it or you accidentally delete the information in the address book. So I wouldnt necessarily delete the file without backing it up first. Personally, here are the steps I would take to remain safe in case you need the file again.

1. Right click on the file and choose Rename
    2. Type in a name for the file and add the .wab extension to it
    For Example, you might want to rename it to addressbook.wab or something similar
    3. Now, put a blank, formatted floppy disk in your floppy drive and right-click on the newly named file
    4. Choose Send To, Floppy Drive (most likely A)
    5. Now the file is backed up in case of emergency, right-click on the file on your desktop and choose Delete

Each time you make a change to your address book, this file will reappear so its a good idea to keep that floppy drive around and make a backup each time you make changes. This protects you from losing valuable email addresses in case of a disaster.

An alternative to this would be to change the Start in option for Outlook Express. This has been suggested by a few visitors and works well.

* Find the shortcut to Outlook Express and right-click on it
    * Click on Properties
    * Make sure Read-only is unchecked on the General tab
    * Click on the Shortcut tab
    * In the "Start In" field, change it to an alternative path where the tilde file will appear, for example C:\
    * Click on Apply

5. bbsnooks

bbsnooks Thread Starter

Ahhh thank You..; this worked..

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327654

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice