1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Unknown PCI Device

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Compiler, Apr 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Compiler

Compiler Thread Starter

This one has thrown me into a bit of a loop.

I am working on a new Acer Desktop for a friend. (Her Dell died the previous day)

Like all new PCs nowadays - it comes with the new exciting M$ Vista. She bought WindowsXP SP2(MCE) and I promptly murdered vista. It was a bit tricky, but I located the drivers for the Acer T180 (there is 3 sets of drivers for that series) and almost everything is perfect...

But there is single PCI device that I am getting an unknown error with. Its listed as:

Other Devices:
    - PCI Device (Yellow Question mark)

I'm trying to figure out what this is. The modem was the only PCI device installed - and its driver is fine (I even pulled the modem out - just in case). Audio, USB, Firewire, video, IDE and SATA devices are listed okay. The PC itself is running okay.

The ACER T180 has these stats: AMD AM2 CPU X2 4000 / 512mb RAM DDR2 533mhz / 250GB HD / DVD-RW drive / Media Card reader. The motherboard brand is unknown (at this time) but it is the Nvidia Nforce 6100 IGP Chipset.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Lan, wireless, touchpad,

do you have the spec for what hardware is included?

3. Compiler

Compiler Thread Starter

Its a new Acer Desktop. There is nothing plugged into it.

Mouse/keyboard. All devices that should have drivers, do. Nothing that I can see is missing.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    delete it from device manager and reboot when it asks to find a driver point it to the internet

5. jwinathome

jwinathome

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Its cliche, but will keep you out of trouble. :)

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

I encountered the same problem a year or so ago when I was reloading a Dell.

When I started loading the drivers the Dell disc had a driver for a 3Com modem which I loaded. After I loaded that driver, device manager indicated the modem was a 3Com (whatever model number) and the device was working. I had the yellow "bang" in device manager by unknown PCI Device.

The modem was the only PCI Device installed, so I opened the case, pulled the modem and it wasn't a 3Com modem it was a Realtek modem. I downloaded the Realtek driver, installed it and as soon as it was installed, device manager showed the modem as the Realtek modem and the yellow "bang" disappeared.

I would check to make sure you have the correct driver for the modem installed.

7. jwinathome

jwinathome

Very interesting.

8. Compiler

Compiler Thread Starter

OKay... missed one.

Turns out the AUDIO from the modem was detected.

But on the Nforce board - the onboard audio is a "PCI device" - And I had installed the wrong audio driver (ACER, again has 3-4 different options for the same model number).

Stupid audio driver fix problem.

(Ah solved option moved)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/557458

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice