1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Unknown PCI Device

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nessyguin, Sep 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nessyguin

nessyguin Thread Starter

Hi folks , I'm having the devil of a job trying to get the sound running on a friend's PC . XP Pro (32-bit) installed on Asrock Conroe Presler 775i945GZ (64-bit) motherboard . I've installed chipset and realtek audio drivers appropriate to the mobo (from Asrock site) but Device Manager still shows an unknown PCI Device under Other Devices and onboard sound isn't working . There are no PCI cards installed and onboard audio is enabled in BIOS . Could there be an issue with a 32-bit OS being installed on a 64-bit mobo ? I wouldn't have thought so but have little experience with 64-bit .

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated :)

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Try right clicking the device and click update drivers
    and let it search for the driver to see if it can find it.
    May want to let it search on the web too.

3. nessyguin

nessyguin Thread Starter

Thanks leroys1000 . I've tried that but wasn't surprised I had no joy . That rarely works when Windows doesnt know what kind of device it is . I'm thinking it's a bus controller but other than that I'm totally at a loss !

4. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

It could be the sound as onboard sound is still a PCI device.
    Is the audio device listed in device manager?

5. nessyguin

nessyguin Thread Starter

No audio device listed but having loaded the audio driver without success I assumed it must be something else but related . I'm at the edge of my knowledge here so bear with me :)

6. nessyguin

nessyguin Thread Starter

In the absence of an installed audio device would adding a PCI sound card be futile ?

7. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Sholdn't be a problem.
    Make sure to disable the onboard in the BIOS
    to avoid conficts.

8. nessyguin

nessyguin Thread Starter

Marking this as solved though I never managed to get the mobo sound card working . Added an extenal USB SoundBlaster as a workaround and everyone's happy .

Thanks very much for your help , leroys1000 :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/748830

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice