Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solved: Unknown program quickly popping up and disappearing in task bar constantly

24K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Phantom010 
#1 ·
Some program keeps popping up for a split second on my task bar every few minutes, and I can't figure out what it is.
It's pretty annoying because whenever it happens it switches the current window's focus.
It seems to happen randomly, and not at a set time interval.
I don't think it's malware... but I could be wrong. It pops ups and disappears much too quickly to identify it.
How can figure out what it is? (Btw, I'm running Windows 7.)

#5 ·
1- Please click HERE to download HijackThis.

2- Run the program.

3- Click on the Main Menu button if not already there.

4- Select Do a system scan and save a logfile.

5- Copy and paste the scan log from Notepad into your next reply. Do not attach it.

6- Do not "Fix" anything unless advised to do so.

For Windows 7 and Vista:

If Windows is denying access to the Hosts file, run HijackThis as Administrator or disable the UAC first.

===================================================================

You could also run Process Explorer and check all running processes. See if there's a suspicious process.

#6 ·
I figured out what was happening using the Windows Event Viewer. It turns out that a Windows update that I recently installed was causing the problem. The update installed a service called Interactive Services Detection. This service reacted with my PS3 Media Server program in a way that caused the new service to constantly try displaying some useless annoying dialog. I'm not sure why the dialog would always self-close before I could even see it, but after I disabled this service, the problem went away. I'm sure PS3 Media Server will release an update that corrects the problem, but the new Windows service is pretty useless anyway. I think I might just disable Windows Update... I hate Microsoft... Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. It did seem like something malware would do, but I had my reasons to believe it probably wasn't malware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.