1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Unknown USB Device on All Computers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by infinitychic36, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. infinitychic36

infinitychic36 Thread Starter

Hi all,
    My friend gave me her USB device in tears because after an improper eject, it is now unrecognizable by any of the PCs she connected it to.

The error in the device manager (in WinXP) is "Unknown Device" and that's what popped up after I first plugged it into my PC.
    I've tried disabling, uninstalling, updating drivers - the typical slew.... is there any chance it, or the data salvageable?

I haven't tried it on my CentOS system yet -
    Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

2. IT-Support

IT-Support

As far as i'm aware it's not fixable. But we may be able to something. If you plug in the pen then right click on my computer and goto properties. In the left pane there should be disk management. Post us the print screen of that and we'll see what we can do.

3. infinitychic36

Ok, here goes, I attached the screenshot of device manager in the document.
    I guess it doesn't look promising...

Attached Files:

4. IT-Support

IT-Support

I'm afraid the pen hasn't even been picked up by windows at all. you could try on a linux system, but i doubt you'll get anywhere. Unless someone else has an idea, i'll keep thinking.

5. infinitychic36

I was afraid of that.
    I use a linux machine - CentOS. I'm definitely no guru, but I can't seem to manually mount the drive. :-/

I (and the owner of the drive) appreciate the thinking and the replies!

6. infinitychic36

Ok! I decided to crack the sucker open and probe it for fried chips.

Turns out she's a little rough with it, and bent the connector, which disconnected one of the power pins between the board and the connector.

I hit it with a soldering iron, and it works good as new! All the files were recovered.
    Which of course calls into question my operating mantra "The problem is in the software"

Not that I recommend cracking open every faulty drive, of course, but the symptoms matched hardware problems.
    Thanks for the help!
    Cheers!

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    My idea is that you may want to think before typing. I see that your previous post in this thread had to be edited for language. That gives you 3 strikes (violations) in 8 days. It may be decided by administrators or we moderators that is sufficient. If we take no action at this point you can be pretty sure we'll be watching.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/883253

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice