1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Unplugging my Laptop while I'm away

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nemoryer, Apr 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nemoryer

nemoryer Thread Starter

Hello, I will be out of the country for about 12 days and I am thinking I should unplug my laptop (switch the powerstrip to OFF) while I'm away just to be on the safe side. I want to do this for peace of mind since I will be so far away. I have an old laptop that is running on 3 cylinders.

Upon return, will I be experiencing difficulty turning my computer back on? BTW, I am with CenturyLink Wireless.

I've not done this before as I've not been gone that long.

Thank you very much.

2. valis

valis Moderator

no, you should be fine. Laptops aren't meant to run 24/7 anyhow. If it doesn't fire up upon return, all that means is that it was getting ready to die and just chose this moment to do so.

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Make sure that you do a normal windows shutdown and are sure the laptop is turned off before turning off the power strip. You don't want to be coming back to a dead battery and possibly a crashed computer.

4. nemoryer

nemoryer Thread Starter

YES, thank you very much, I WILL MAKE SURE I follow your instructions.

I hope when I come back, and when I turn it on, I don't have to reset the modem? I don't like doing that because I'm not very savvy with computers, also I am concerned about the clock, I hope it will keep up with the time while I"m away, and when I get back.

I know these are very little worries but like I said, I'm not very good with computers, and my computer is also very old.

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH for your tips.

5. valis

valis Moderator

De nada. Glad its sorted. :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1049795

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice