Solved: unprotect a section of a protected form in Word 2000.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Chukesgirl

Can anybody who is using Word 2000 please tell me how to unprotect part of a protected form so that the users can enter text in that unprotected part? This is a form that is shared throughout a large office and I don't want everybody to have the ability to unprotect it because I have a few know-it-alls who will try making changes to the rest of the form.

You can do this using section breaks. Basically, you wrap separate sections of the document in continuous section breaks, then, using the Protect Document dialog, select Forms, click the Sections... button, and select only those sections you wish to have protected.

I'll see if I can find some links to tutorials and bump 'em.

HTH

chris.

[bump]

Here's an article demonstrating the principles in Word 2003, but the idea is the same. Thanks to Dreamboat for that link.

...and a couple quick searches didn't turn up any others.

If that doesn't help, or if you need more info, post back and I'll come up with a tutorial of my own for Word 2000.

chris.

Chukesgirl

Thanks for the response, but I don't have the Tools-Options-Protect Section option. Mine is just Protect Document. I do have the form in sections and I tried selecting the section I wanted unprotected, and then clicking on Protect document, but of course, it only unprotects/protects the entire form. I have the section breaks showing and when I select the one section to unprotect, all of them become unprotected, the same thing with protecting.

Okay, try this (not sure if it's what you did, but it sounds like you were selecting portions of the document):

• Open the document in question.
  • From the menu bar, select Tools-->Protect Document....
  • In the Protect Document window, select the Forms radio button and click the Sections... command button.
  • In the Section Protection window, there will be a list of each section in your document. Uncheck any sections you do not want protected, then click OK.
  • In the Protect Document window, click OK.
Is that what you tried?

chris.

Chukesgirl

I FINALLY GOT IT! (Smack on the forehead!)

I'm very new to creating forms in Word. I didn't know you had to double click on Protect documents to get the window where the protect sections option is.

Thanks so very, very much for your patience.

Well, lol, erm, I'm not sure exactly what method you used (doesn't seem like you used mine; maybe you used the Protect Document icon on the Forms toolbar?), but I'm glad you got it sorted (y)

If this issue is resolved to your satisfaction, you may mark this thread Solved using the Thread Tools at the top of this page.

chris.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts