1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Unstable Internet Through Wireless Card on Newly Bought Computer

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mjh1991, Nov 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mjh1991

mjh1991 Thread Starter

I just recently bought an Asus G751JT, and I've been having some issues with the wireless internet right off the bat (this computer is the only one with the problem ruling out the connection or router being bad). The wireless card connects to the router well enough, even regular browsing is possible; however, any streaming of video is unbearably choppy, and downloads frequently fail or break. I even had an extreme amount of difficulty getting the internet to hold together long enough to download the first batch of updates. Downloads and internet usage was improved in safe mode with networking, so I'm not thinking that it is bad hardware (although if it is figuring out soon would be best). Despite the problems I'm having, if I ping a website on a loop I don't see any lost packets or notable increase in ping time. So far the only work-around I've found is run my wireless card in 802.11b mode; however, this is obviously not desirable. According to speedtest.net when I wasn't in b mode my ping was 9 ms with 21.51 mbps down and 4.37 up.

So far I have renewed ipconfig, reset the winsock catalog, reinstalled the drivers, tried older drivers, turned off any power saving features for the wireless card, uninstalled (and promptly reinstalled after testing) antivirus software, removed and readded the device in device manager, and played around with just about every configuration I could think of in the driver.

The only software that has been installed up to this point is avast, steam, classic shell, and chrome The operating system is windows 8.1. The wireless card is an Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 7620. My router is a netgear WNR2000v3. I have attached the output from msinfo32 if anyone wants a more detailed listing of my hardware configuration.

I'm honestly, a bit stumped here. Since this is essentially a fresh OEM install, I don't think a reformat would be of much use here. About all I can think of is that my wireless card and router don't play nice. I'd appreciate any ideas, and apologize for the length of this post. The output from TSG SysInfo is pasted below, I don't think it will be of any use though.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 16333 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M, -1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 97675 MB, Free - 49037 MB; D: Total - 124902 MB, Free - 103961 MB; E: Total - 476932 MB, Free - 476176 MB; F: Total - 476934 MB, Free - 476178 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., G751JT
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Attached Files:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Try the latest wireless driver from Asus's web site. Try the latest driver directly from Intel's web site.

Check those sites weekly for a driver update.

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page (don't collapse the Radar, Connection or Signal History) of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector. If you need help with a screen shot see TSG Posting a Screenshot. FWIW to take screen shots with Windows Vista or latter I prefer to use the built-in Snipping Tool.

Unfortunately that is a possibility.

3. mjh1991

mjh1991 Thread Starter

I already had and reinstalled the latest Asus drivers. I managed to get the intel driver's to install. Despite being more recent they didn't solve the problem. The requested screenshot is attached. I tried flushing dns, and ran an sfc /scannow; as expected however nothing came of it. Thanks for responding. Hoping someone has a clue whats going on.

Attached Files:

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The signal history shows a little more variability than I like to see. Since other wireless devices are working OK on your network the problem is not likely to be a router issue or interference that Xirrus does not detect. My suspects are the adapter and its driver, with the driver at the top of the list. Hope for a driver update. :)

Disable encryption on the router and test that way. If that works OK then try WPA-PSK encryption. (If it doesn't work OK then just resume using WPA2-PSK.)

5. mjh1991

mjh1991 Thread Starter

I have resolved the problem. Reinstalling windows indeed restored normal functionality. Avast appears to have been the cause of the problem. Somehow, when I uninstalled I must have fluked into another problem. This time I checked internet connectivity after every installation, and Avast caused the problem. And promptly uninstalling got rid of it. So if anyone with an Asus ROG G751 has internet issues and stumbles upon this thread check your antivirus installation.

TerryNet thanks for responding to my posts, I appreciate the effort.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!