1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Unstable typing cursor

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by sulittle, Dec 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sulittle

sulittle Thread Starter

While typing, the cursor jumps around from place to place randomly. If I don't watch the screen, I'll end up typing words into the middle of an earlier sentance. Just happenrd again! I believe this happens on any typing program, but is most frequent in Hotmail. This happened on a different computer several years ago, but I do not remember how it was fixed.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T8300 @ 2.40GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3573 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family, 448 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 292380 MB, Free - 170483 MB; D: Total - 10239 MB, Free - 3998 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0U990C
    Antivirus: Norton Internet Security, Updated and Enabled

2. fel1x

fel1x

almost always outdated mobo drivers ,video drivers try windows update

3. sulittle

sulittle Thread Starter

I thought I had tried that recently for a different reason, but I'll try again. What is a "mobo driver"?

4. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Is there a reason you have not installed/updated to Service Pack 2?

5. sulittle

sulittle Thread Starter

Yes. If I recall, I have tried, and the automatic updater tried, many times over a span of several months (years ago) to install this update. It failed every time, and I could not figure out why. Perhaps I should have come here and asked! Eventually I forgot all about it.

6. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    This could possibly be the reason you are having problems now as you have missed out on many many important updates to Windows and other programs. If someone does not help you with this in this thread, start another thread about helping with Service pack 2 and getting your system current with updates.

7. sulittle

sulittle Thread Starter

Thank you. I just discovered that it is no longer automatically updating, so the last update was a few months ago. I'm not as thorough as I thought! I probably turned off the automatic updater because it was getting obnoxious, and I didn't have time to deal with it.

Thanks again

8. sulittle

sulittle Thread Starter

I have rund Windows Update and there were lots of them! However, the problem has gotten much worse, not better (3 times in this reply)

9. fel1x

fel1x

go to dell support -put tag number in which will be on your comp or search the exact one and find the drivers there or possibly windows update

could try
    You can disable the touch pad and your wandering curser problem will go away.
    Here's how to disable it:
    1. go to control panel
    2. click on mouse icon
    3. go to the device settings tab and disable the touchpad.

then use a mouse -see if it goes away

10. sulittle

sulittle Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply, and I appologize for my delay (been gone).

I need a clarification - When you say "tag number", do you mean serial number? Also, are you saying to update the touchpad driver, or re-install the driver for the touchpad, or what?

I removed the touchpad in the device manager and restarted twice (after searching for updated driver w/o any luck). So far, typing this reply, I have had no problems with the cursor, so that may have worked. However, it will take a while before knowing if this problem is solved.

Thank you

11. fel1x

fel1x

dell support has a tag number like tgr54s which is the support/drivers for your exact pc

12. kayaker288

kayaker288

Had this exact problem appear out of the blue after updating drivers for my Dell laptop. What is happening is your palm is slightly tapping the touchpad when you type, and why the problem is solved with the Touchpad disabled. In my case, updating to newer Dell drivers was the cause of the problem since the newer drivers allowed the touchpad to be active while typing, where as the old Dell drivers did not.

The solution is to use Touchfreeze. Works like a charm and fixes jumpy cursors when typing because it disables the touchpad only during keystrokes. That way you can still use your touchpad without having to disable/enable it each time http://lifehacker.com/5412986/touchfreeze-disables-your-touchpad-as-soon-as-you-start-typing

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1033877

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice