1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Unusual wireless set-up?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dobe10, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dobe10

dobe10 Thread Starter

I'm a beginner. Sorry for the long post.

I have a Gigaset SE567 router with WLAN and Ethernet connections. It's only being used by my XPS 435MT desktop with a wired DSL connection, although the WLAN light is lit.

Under "Network Connections", the desktop says "LAN or High-Speed Internet (1)" and "Local Area Connection Network 2 Intel 82567LF-2 Gigabit Network Connection". The desktop is upstairs. The HT equip. is downstairs.

All I want to do is send firmware updates from a wireless network upstairs to my home theater (HT) eqip. downstairs. The equipment has ethernet jacks and I'm told ip addresses.

** Do I need to download a driver from Dell and/or buy a wireless WLAN adaptor for the computer if I want to set-up a wireless network upstairs.

Someone told me I need a device like this: Buffalo WLI-TX4-AG300N Ethernet Converter But I think that's for the HT equip. and assumes I have a working wireless network upstairs.

I don't want to install a wireless card in my computer. There must be a way to add a wireless network to my desktop without too much effort. If I can do that I'm guessing there's a way to use a bridge/converter downstairs which my computer's wireless network would recognize?

Thanks for the help.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    so the Gigaset SE567 router
    http://gigaset.com/hq/en/product/GIGASETSE567WLANDSL.html
    should be broadcasting a wireless signal also as the WLAN is on the wireless is enabled

If the equipment is connected by LAN to that router and also wireless to that router - then your down and can copy across the devices

Not fully understanding the setup i'm afraid - but the wireless should talk to the LAN part of that router and hence do the copy

SE567 ==> cable ==> XPS 435

what other equipment do you have upstairs that is wireless , whats the wireless router
    IS this a different wireless network or using the SE567 wireless ?

3. PedroHin

PedroHin

I think that Buffalo equipment you have linked is for the HT only. If you can connect the HT to the wireless network successfully, you will not need wireless connectivity on your desktop PC, since they will then be on the same network

Wireless to Wired connectivity is often misunderstood in this context.

4. dobe10

dobe10 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. The link you provided is my router. It has 4 outputs. #1 is not labeled but it's currently wired to my desktop. #2 and #3 are ethernet and are not being used. #4 is WLAN and has nothing plugged into it, but the WLAN light is lit.

It's not a different network. I would be using the SE567.

I don't have any wireless equipment yet. The HT equip has ethernet jacks that can be converted to wireless by an ethernet converter (like the Buffalo) or a wireless adaptor. I haven't bought either device yet because I was told I need a working wireless network on my computer before the computer would recognize the HT equipment.

My computer doesn't have a wireless network. It only has the 2 networks I mentioned in my 1st post. One is a LAN network.

Once I get the Buffalo unit, I'm told I can go into my desktop and to the SE567 settings and it will have assigned the HT equip ip #'s. I can then control the firmware updates from my desktop.

If I buy the Buffalo how will I control the updates, etc if my computer doesn't have a wireless network? How do I make sure this 2 year old computer does not have a wireless card? Dell says if there's no wireless connection in my "connect to" then I don't have a wireless card and I need to buy a card or adaptor from them

Is that that true?

As i said I don't want to buy and install a wireless card from Dell. There must be an easier way.

Thanks again for your time?

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    the computer connected to the SE567 by a cable will - when correctly setup - be able to see any other PC connected to the SE567 by cable and also by wireless

post back a screen shot of device manager and we can tell if you have wireless on any PC - should say wireless or wireless of 801.11 G/N

6. dobe10

dobe10 Thread Starter

I don't know if the screen shot came through or not.

Under device manager, it doesn't say either 801.11 or wireless. There's nothing about wireless. It only has the network adaptor I mentioned in my 1st post.

Will this work and can I just plug it into an open usb 2.0 port on my desktop or does it need to be installed under the hood? Thanks
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704045&cm_re=usb_wireless_network_adapter-_-33-704-045-_-Product

Attached Files:

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    the link is not working - you may want to repost

so no wireless on the desktop - BUT if its connected to the router SE567 by cable - then no reason to connect by wireless as you are already connected to the network by cable

8. dobe10

dobe10 Thread Starter

But what I want to do is connect my HT equipment to a wireless network. According to my computer there is no wireless network.

Here's the link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...reless_network_adapter-_-33-704-045-_-Product

9. dobe10

dobe10 Thread Starter

I guess, what I'm asking is whether this USB wireless adaptor http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-045-_-Product will allow my desktop to become a wireless network which would then allow me to wirelessly be in contact with my Ethernet HT equipment once they have a wireless bridge/converter installed -- like the Buffalo converter above.

Can this be done with the external USB wireless adaptor only -- without a need for an internal wireless card?

Sorry for all the confusion but this is a difficult area for me. Thanks again.

10. PedroHin

PedroHin

I guess what we are trying to say is that you do not need wireless capability on your PC to access your home network's wireless devices.

Since you are physically connected to a router with wireless capability, you inherit the router's capability to communicate with other wireless devices on the same network

11. dobe10

dobe10 Thread Starter

Hi PedroHin:

Thanks for responding.

I understand. If I had a smart phone I could access the internet without my desktop having wireless access. It would be the same if I had a laptop. However, I don't know how I would control my HT equip. w/o a wireless connection on my desktop.

How would I get the firmware updates and how would I access my receiver's web interface? This is what I was told regarding my HT receiver.

If the wireless external adaptor will work w/o an internal wireless card, I guess that's the answer -- once I buy a bridge/ Buffalo converter for the HT equip. downstairs.

Does that make sense? Thanks.

12. PedroHin

PedroHin

Even if you had a wireless adapter for your PC, the traffic would STILL go through the router.

The router acts like a smart traffic light. Whenever it sees two devices on the same network trying to communicate, it will 'route' the traffic to the correct device. it doesn't care if either or both devices are on a wire, or on an antenna, they are all on the same 'cloud'.

Even if you had 2 computers in your office upstairs, both on a wire. If I wanted to share files between the 2 PCs, all of that trafic would always go through the router. If I added a wireless laptop to the network, I could also share files with the 2 PCs because it is also part of the network.

Once a wireless device joins the network, the other devices don't know and don't care how that device is connected, because the router will handle that part for them.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• LAN.png
      LAN.png
      File size:
      20.9 KB
      Views:
  13. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    I assume the HT is not near the Router at all

you DO NOT need to enable the desktop for wireless

you need to connect the HT LAN connection to the router - now you can do this by wireless with a wireless AP
    I use an edimax EW-7209 , it has 5 LAN connections and connects to my wireless router and allows internet connection and access to DLNA Media servers for my Humax PVR and Panasonic TV

HT LAN ==> cable ==> edimax ==> wireless ==> SE567 ==> cable ==> desktop

the HT LAN will now be able to see your desktop - you need to enable file sharing - and will also see the internet
    question is the HT equipment how does it say you should update the firmware ??

14. dobe10

dobe10 Thread Starter

Thanks. I finally get it. I can go through the Gigaset's interface on my computer. The Gigaset interface will show me all connected devices and their addresses. So there's no need for a wireless card on my PC. Thank You.

15. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    yep,
    BUT you may need to setup sharing on the other devices - PC & Laptops are often set with sharing OFF so they wont be seen

how does the HT get firmware updated - do you have make and models for user manual online

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972241

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice