1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: update drivers for xp laptop

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by julia071, Mar 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. julia071

julia071 Thread Starter

since you were so wonderful about helping fix our desktop i was wondering if you knew of where to get a free program to fix updates for drivers. my video controller and a couple of other drivers can not be updated. thank you so much. i am very glad i found this forum.

2. new tech guy

new tech guy

What do you mean they cannot be updated? Do you have any "!" in device manager? If your drivers are working fine as they are the philosophy behind drivers is simply this: if its not broke dont fix it!!!

3. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

4. julia071

julia071 Thread Starter

i have tried to play diablo on my laptop and its states that there is a problem with my video drivers. i just bought this laptop used from a person. also in the device manager it says the drivers are not installed and cannot be updated.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Don't use driver scanners. If it is working, leave it alone. New drivers are not always better than the old ones. Scanners will make mistakes, install unneeded updates, and possibly leave you with problems. Some new drivers are for newer hardware and supposedly "backward-compatible", but that compatibility is not always complete.

But, if you need a specific driver updated, that's fine.

What graphics card do you have?

This will give you details about your machine:

PCWizard[​IMG]

Or, go to Start > Run, and type:

dxdiag

6. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

If it is a retail PC you can get the latest drivers from the manufacturers website. If it is not a retail pc then we will need to know the make and model of the Video Card.

7. julia071

julia071 Thread Starter

this is what i seen when i pulled the video information from the dxdiag.

tab display
    name:
    manufacturer:n/a
    chip type: n/a
    dac type: n/a
    approx. total meomory: n/a
    current display mode: 1024X768 (32 bit) (1Hz)

drivers
    main driver: vga.dll
    date: 08/18/2001 07:00:00
    whql logo'd: yes
    mini Vdd: vga.sys
    Vdd: n/a
    DDI version: unknown

Notes
    this system is using the generic video driver

Please install video driver provided by the hardware manufactor.
    to test directdraw functionality click the "test direct Draw" button above.
    Direct3d functionality not available. You should verify that the driver is a final version from the hardware manufactor.

8. Squashman

We can only help you if you answer our questions. So help us by helping you. Good try on running dxdiag but that is only going to give you pertinent information if the actual correct drivers are installed.

You have a few options here. You tell us the make and model of the computer if it is name brand computer. If not use software like PCWizard or SIW that will hopefully ascertain what the make and model of the video card is. Since this is a laptop the video card is integrated into the system board. Which means you need to go to the manufacturers website and download the drivers from there.

9. julia071

julia071 Thread Starter

ok i am trying to have patience. I am NOT computer sawvy. I do NOT claim to know everything about computers BUT I dO as i am told which i was told to run the dxdiag. which i did. You need to learn to talk properly to people or not talk at all. i appreciate the help from elvandil since he knows what he is talking about and can talk to people nicely.

now as to answer your question that i just received and didnt see the message before i did what i was told to do by elvandil.

My laptop is a IBM thinkpad r31. windows XP. i have used the run area many times such as for msconfig. so i go there first before anywhere else because i know it. the link for the pcwizard did not work when i first tried to click on it the first time.

Mainboard : IBM 2656A4U
    Chipset : Intel i830M/MP/MG
    Processor : Intel Celeron @ 1066 MHz
    Physical Memory : 248 MB (1 x 128 SDRAM )
    Video Card : Intel Corporation 82830M/MG Integrated Video
    Hard Disk : TOSHIBA (30 GB)
    CD-Rom Drive : LG CD-ROM CRN-8245B
    Network Card : Intel Corporation 82801CAM (ICH3) PRO/100 VE (LOM) Network Connection
    Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
    DirectX : Version 9.0c (October 2008)

that is what the pcwizard showed me. ok what can i do next? thank you for your help.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's no wonder that you are having trouble with graphics. Your card is running at a minimal level on the "fail-safe" VGA driver. That could be because the other driver is not available, or because the chipset driver is not installed and Windows is having problems identifying that card.

Download and install your Intel Inf Utility (infinst_enu.exe) from this page:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Det...&OSFullName=Windows* XP Professional&lang=eng

Reboot, open Device Manager, and see what is listed for display adapters.

11. Hughv

Hughv

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

Once your chipset drivers are installed, the correct name of the video card should appear in Device Manager and you will then be able to install the graphics driver. Before that, you will probably get a message that no display adapter was found.

13. julia071

julia071 Thread Starter

thank you all so much....video is fixed....now on the device manager it says pci modem is the only other thing that has a problem but i have no clue what that is for. do i need it? since i have wireless? thank you

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

No, you don't need it. You may want to just right-click it and disable it so it won't cause you any problems. If you decide to send faxes over your phone later on, you can find the driver for it.

If you get a scan done at some place like PCPitstop, they will take points for having a disabled device because they think it is a "problem". But the problem is theirs, not yours. :D

15. Squashman

Posted via Mobile Device
    Just remember that anytime you have issues like this you can go to the computer manufacturers website to get the drivers for your computer

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/811794

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice