1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Update firmware D-Link DIR 601

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DKTaber, Jan 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

I have a 4-year-old D-Link DIR 601 (cheap) router. It used to put out a little better than 42% (~38Mbps) of the speed I get hard-wired (92Mbps). Last week, that was cut exactly in half (19Mbps) after I made a few changes to the configuration which should have had nothing to do with the speed it delivers.

Questions:
    • Is there anything I can check in the router's config that might account for the drop in speed?
    • The firmware is 1.01 and I understand 1.04 is available, but the site asks if I have model A or B. I can find nothing on the labels about A or B. Where would I find that?
    • I tried downloading the 1.04 update for version A. It's a zipped .bin file which is not executable. How does one apply the update to the router?
    • The router has a reset button that resets it to factory settings. Could that solve the speed problem, or is it not worth trying?

2. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Forget my intial post. I took the chance that perhaps a factory reset would restore the output speed of the router. It did. I'm now back to 35-38Mbps as measured on Xfinity's speed test on my Win 7 laptop. HOWEVER. . . my wife has a VERY old (2003) Compaq XP laptop. Although it shows my network as the strongest, when I enter the network key, it first says "Acquiring IP Address", and a pop-up they shows it's trying to connect. It first says "Waiting to connect....", but that soon changes to "Waiting for network to be ready. . .". It does not connect. Neither does my Amazon Fire TV Stick, which has been working flawlessly for the last 10 days. The network IS ready and works on my Win 7 laptop. I have tried unplugging the router, waiting 30 sec., plugging it back in to reboot it. Reboots find, laptop works, nothing else does.

????????????????????

3. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

I entered the router and updated 1-2 things, like the time zone. After doing that and getting back on my laptop, it won't connect. I get a message that "The setting saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network." What the h*** is going on? What does this mean and how do I fix it?

4. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Update: I again hit the Reset button on the router to reset it to factory settings. Without doing ANYTHING else, including setting up security, both my Win 7 laptop and my wife's old XP laptop connect. . . but it's effectively public wi-fi -- no security. If I put WPA2 security on it with a password, neither of the laptops connect. What am I missing?

5. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Never mind! Despite my lack of knowledge about router settings, this morning I decided NOT to rely on D-Link's configuration "wizards", but look at and change any settings I knew were wrong. I discovered that in the wireless settings, no security protocol was selected and (of course) no network password had been recorded. So I selected WPA-personal and entered a password and saved the settings.

Guess what? EVERYTHING, including my wife's old Compaq, now connect automatically, and the wireless speed is back up to about 40Mbps.

Sorry to have cluttered the forum with something I should have been able to solve myself.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141748

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice