1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Update from Win 7 to Win 8.1 and cpu heat problem

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by tonyacardo, Mar 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tonyacardo

tonyacardo Thread Starter

I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 and now I cannot convert video files because my computer shuts down due to the CPU heat. Asus has a monitor and you can watch the temp climb.

Is there a software/upgrade solution to this or do I need a better heat sink and more fans?

I also looked for a video convertor that used less resources but they all multi-thread and run full throttle as far as I can tell.

Why would someone make an operating system that is less efficient? I waited for a while to upgrade so MS could work out all the bugs too. Darn Darn Darn.

(I've got coupling material from about 2 years ago. Is it still good?)

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 1 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 6
    RAM: 16330 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 488383 MB, Free - 311634 MB; D: Total - 599895 MB, Free - 450024 MB; F: Total - 1907726 MB, Free - 1472290 MB; G: Total - 830893 MB, Free - 495591 MB; K: Total - 3815413 MB, Free - 2242968 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., M5A97
    Antivirus: Panda Free Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

This has really nothing to do with Windows 8.1. Those amd six guns have a pretty steep TDP to begin with, so chances are up to this point you have been running just shy of overheating, so of course this kind of operation is pushing your cpu past its thermal limits.
    Replacing the standard heat sink and fan with a beefier aftermarket unit will make a difference, but also make sure your ventilation is good, maybe fix the wires cluttered in the case and add more fans if you can (more noise, hehehehe). Depending on the situation, if you have one of those compact cases, you may want to consider transplanting to a larger, gaming class case, lots of space and lots of big fans. Just a thought.

3. tonyacardo

tonyacardo Thread Starter

I know how to snap a normal heat sink on but what happens with the bigger ones. Do they just snap into place too. I also some some water cooled stuff but I didn't think I would know how to mount it. It looked a lot bigger and it had something hanging off the edge of it.
    Also, I have a big case. It is not one of those little ones.

How hard is this new heatsink going to be?
    Fans are no problem.

4. CleaverX

CleaverX

Sorry but you will need to do some research; some use the native mounts, so not a big deal, but others use a custom backplate, so you would need to be able to access the bottom of the motherboard to install them.
    As for watercooling systems, you would want to find a self-contained unit, but make sure it will fit on to your case. Lots of research to do. Also do not go cheap on the thermal paste.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144575

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice