1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Update program

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ms85, Nov 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ms85

ms85 Thread Starter

Is there any program i can get that will scan my computer for updates for the service pack, drivers, and any other programs i have? Or do i just have to do it all manual? It just seems like windows updates arnt very fast. I tend to have to update them manualy before windows even catchs it.

Hope you can help, thanks

2. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Can you tell me which current windows your using and as for updates how up-to-date are you? i.e (which .net version, which service pack, IE version) Automatic Updates allows you to choose which to install and you can manually download updates that haven't picked up yet like windows media player updates and codecs etc. as for using a 3rd party program to choose which updates are needed for your computer I wouldn't recommend it...But that's just me.

3. ms85

ms85 Thread Starter

i have vista i just had to format, so i dont know what i have anymore about everything else. windows had a few up dates when it started and i installed them, sould i just start looking in programs to see if i can update? and does that mean my service pack and codacs already up to date?

4. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

I don't know what was updated you need to check to see what was installed is it set on auto-matic update? So basically you're getting updates from a clean version of windows like windows installer? security updates? genuine advantage? etc...And its taking too long right? You got to be a little patient with these things some of these updates are very important before you install manual updates. Look in control panel> add or remove programs> select box "show updates" for which updates you have and as for service pack in control panel and click on system info.

5. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Think of it as a house of cards- you pull one card out it all falls down!

6. ms85

ms85 Thread Starter

Thanks, i dont have add and remove programs though. i have programs and features. i looked and didnt see any boxs to check. i did go to updates in the control panel and found 101 UPDATES!!!! lmfao! im not to worryed about how much time it takes them to download, im more concerned and the time it takes for my computer to find the update itself. if thats even possible.

thanks VictoriaiiCe

7. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Well you can always check yourself :p on the windows website let it scan in custom settings and you can review what you want to install. 101??? Wow!

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If you go to Windows Update, all available updates should appear. I've never heard of a problem where Windows can't determine it needs to be updated "for a while". Updates are either available or not.

9. ms85

ms85 Thread Starter

cool, ill check that out. and yeah, im guessing because my computer is 6 years old, and i used the windows disc that came with it. it seems like you know what your talking about, did you see my post about anti-virus,and fire walls? let me know if you have any pointers,

thanks VictoriaiiCe

10. VictoriaiiCe

VictoriaiiCe

Here's the windows update link http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

As for any malware questions post the thread in the "security" section and a malware adviser will help you out ;) Good luck. Let me know if you need anymore help non-security related. If you can mark this thread as "Solved" up on-top of the thread you'll see a "Mark as Solved" button- so other Advisers know I'd really appreciate it. Have a good night!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025012

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice