1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Update Thumb Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Boco, Feb 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boco

Boco Thread Starter

I'm trying to use a USB thumb drive to backup data files. I purchased a 32GB USB generic thumb drive. There was nothing on it. I used the Win 7 "Send to" command to copy each file from my C: to the E: drive. No problem, the files got there successfully and I was able to open them, no problem.

Now, it's the next month and I want to refresh the files on the E: drive with updated files from C:. I've used the "Send to" command and "Copy" "Paste" commands and the data from the C: is not updated on the E: drive?

To preform a refresh of the files on E: from the C:, do I have to first erease the files on the E: or am I missing something?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i would suggest that a USB thumbdrive is not a reliable backup medium - they often fail
    you would be better off using a external harddrive and perhaps using windows backup
    or just manually copy them

rather than use send to
    I would simply copy the files
    create a folder using the date backwards
    so
    and then copy the files into the folder for that month
    depending on the size the files take will depend on how many versions you can keep

Also if these are really important files - you should take at least 2 copies on different external media and also make sure 1 set is out of the house - so that if a flood, fire or theft occurs you do not lose all the backups
    you can use a cloud service like , onedrive, megadrive, idrive , dropbox etc - quite a few around
    i have been using idrive.com this weekend and quite like the way it works

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I agree. Purchase a second internal drive, NAS, or even external drive. These would be better options than a flash drive. Flash drives are often lost, put through the wash, etc.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142275

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice