1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Updated to Windows &...where did the program backup my FireFox bookmarks?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by 2talll, Mar 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 2talll

2talll Thread Starter

I upgraded to Windows 7 the other day and I can't find where the program put my FireFox bookmarks within the WINDOWSOLD file it created. Any ideas?

2. Bernardo

Bernardo

It's probably in the APP DATA.....do you have hidden files displaying?

3. Bernardo

Bernardo

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    EDIT: The path just below is very wrong. Please ignore it.

Documents and Settings\<user account>\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\<random 8 chars>.default\zzz

where zzz is bookmarks.html for Firefox 2 and is places.sqlite for Firefox 3.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Fraid not Terry, not in Windows 7. I haven't been able to find them but if you can go into Firefox in XP, choose Organize Bookmarks, then export them to Documents folder then backup and do the same thing and "Import" in the same place in Windows 7.

6. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

It would help if we knew what OS you upgraded from.

For XP stores the bookmarks here:
    Code:
    C:\Documents and Settings\<Userprofile>\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\<profilename>.default
    Vista and Win 7 store them here:
    Code:
    C:\Users\<Userprofile>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profilename>.default
    I expect it would be Windows.old\Documents and Settings... or Windows.old\Users...

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

You know Outcaste that's where they always were but recently I cannot find them there on client pc's or my own!

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thanks, Rich. For some reason I was thinking that the OP had upgraded from XP and I managed to intermix Thunderbird and Firefox! :eek: TheOutcaste posted the correct paths.

Attached is for my Firefox 3.6.2 on Vista Home Premium SP2.

Attached Files:

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

My problem might be using "Xmarks" and "Weave" to syncronize all Bookmarks but they are nowhere to be seen. I can export them though as I showed and then import them.

10. Bernardo

Bernardo

Same location for me with Windows 7 Ultimate.

11. 2talll

2talll Thread Starter

Thanks! Got it figured out...now onto finding the iPhone backups since that crashed yesterday and I now have a factory restored phone with nothing on it!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/912592

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice