1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Updates will only install on auto update,

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Totalstranger, Jun 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Totalstranger

Totalstranger Thread Starter

On XP Pro when I check for updates it will have 93 or so updates available. If you only check a few or all available it will download but will not install any. There is no errors listed. Just that some updates did not install. The (some) in this case means all available updates. On automatic update it will install a few at a time.

2. raybro

raybro

Record all the update numbers listed on the Windows Update site by clicking "Custom", then go the Windows Update Catalog site and download the executable files and install them yourself.

3. Totalstranger

This is a Dell laptop that came out with Vista, now with XP Pro. I have a dual booted HP desktop with
    Vista/XP Pro. I have recently reinstalled the XP Pro Sp3 on it and a lot of updates came from auto update. But I did check for updates and some downloaded and installed.

Is there a difference between an XP Pro install disk for a laptop and one for a desk top? When I dual booted the HP desktop I used a Microsoft XP Pro OEM disk. I knew it would do away wih the HP and other sotware it came out of the box with, but I also knew it would work without it.

I just want know if I can use a Geuine Microsoft XP Pro Sp3 oem disk and the laptop hardware work
    as in the touchpad, the internet adapters etc... all work. A fresh install or repair?

4. raybro

raybro

An OEM CD is good ONLY for the computer which it came with. Click here for a read on the subject.

5. Totalstranger

Thank you for another response.
    I guess it is not a oem disc. The disc is a holgraphic or multi-colored disc that came with a "COA" Certificate of Authenticity and a Product Key. I installed it and activated it on a PC
    that came out with Vista, dual boot Vista/XP Pro. But I have used the same disc to reinstall XP Pro on other PCs. But I used the Product Key that was on those machines.

I have only used this disc to repair or install or reinstall on desktops, never on laptops.
    Can I use this XP Pro disc on a laptop as I have used it on desktops. Someone told me that
    an OS disc for any OS has to be for either a desktop or a laptop. An XP laptop disc will not work on a desktop. And a XP desktop disc will not work on a laptop. It does not sound right to me. They are both Windows PCs. But I am not sure. Is there a diference?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1001356

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice