1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Updating D-Link DIR 601

Discussion in 'Networking' started by DKTaber, Jan 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

The firmware in my 5-year-old D-Link DIR 601 A router is the original (ver. 1.01). The D-Link site says update 1.04 is available for the A version of the 601. But if I go into the router's configuration and use Tools, Firmware, there's a box to check for firmware updates. When I click it, it says the firmware I have is the latest. Which is right: The D-Link site or the "Check now" button??

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Unzip the .bin. Then I would expect there to be an "update firmware" action somewhere in the router configuration pages, with a "Browse" to the .bin file.

3. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

OK. I know how to do that, but the D-Link site says there's version 1.04. When I click the "Check now" button, it claims I have the latest firmware. If I ignore that and install the 1.04 file, will it screw up the router. . . or will the router reject it as 'incompatible'?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You also edited your post # 1 after I had posted.

5. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

True. . . sorry.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I do not know. If the router is working OK why chance causing a problem? If a firmware update is the only chance to get some more useful life from it why not just charge ahead?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Could just be that D-link changed the update check since the release of that router.

It appears that model only has 1.02 and 1.04 firmware.

Found the list of fixes here: https://techblog.willshouse.com/2013/03/12/dir-601-firmware-v-1-04/

There's always a chance that you could brick the router, always do updates over wired Ethernet and not wireless.

8. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Terry and Triple: Absent assurances that the 1.04 update is compatible, I'm going with Terry's if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it policy. I looked at the list of changes over my 1.01 and, although I'm not very savvy about wireless devices, I don't see anything there that would improve its performance. . . which right now is probably as close to perfect as one can get on a 5-year-old $40 router that I bought for $20 ("door-buster special"). It's stable (rarely has to be rebooted), provides 38-40Mbps at the basement level where it's located, and 25Mbps in the bedrooms 2 stories up.

Triple: FYI, I always configure the router and check for updates from my PC, which is connected to the router via Ethernet cable.

Parting shot: Although this router has shown itself to be a bargain, I don't think I would buy another D-Link product. Their web site is user-unfriendly for getting answers to simple questions, like "Is firmware ver. 1.04 compatible with my router?" Although they show a "Chat" button, it's a "virtual" chatter (no person on the other end). And although there's a button for e-mail support, it's disabled. I just registered on their forum and posted that question. We'll see if I get a credible answer.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Firmware 1.04 is compatible with your router, hence why it is being listed in the downloads for that model, firmware not listed is not compatible.

Also, the router is not configured to check for updates through your computer, it connects directly to a DLink server. You are only accessing it's internal configuration page from your computer.

10. DKTaber

DKTaber Thread Starter

Au contrair, mon ami, the firmware says it checks for updates ONLINE, meaning (I assume) it goes to the D-Link site and looks for updates. In addition, I just got a response to my post on the D-Link forum that has DEFINITELY put me off trying to update the firmware. In effect it says that firmware updates are chancy/can cause great harm or problems with the router, and unless you're having problems, best to forgo them. I have never had problems with this router, so I'm not going to risk turning it into a black brick!

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Updating firmware/BIOS/ROM's on all devices is and has always risky on all brands and devices and only recommended when it addresses serious issues or resolves problems that are being experienced.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!