1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Updating Problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by helpme52, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. helpme52

helpme52 Thread Starter

I have windows XP I recently reinstalled my windows on my desktop computer, and now i am having so many problems with updating my programs microsoft and other programs i have the sp2 pack i am trying to upgrade to 3 but it says i need to update my windows xp sp2 i cant seem to do that, please help me ??

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Did you do a clean reinstall of Windows XP SP2 or an earlier version?

--------------------------------------------------------

What's the brand name, model name, and model number of that desktop?

---------------------------------------------------------

Right-click MY COMPUTER, then click Properties.

What's listed in the System: section at the top of the "General" tab?

----------------------------------------------------------

3. helpme52

helpme52 Thread Starter

I have a Dell Dimension XPS GEN5
    MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP
    Home Edition
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 2 What is a clean reinstall ? Thanks

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Advise us what the 7-character "service tag" number on the sticker is so we can confirm the exact model of that Dell and locate the support site for it.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I'm assuming you reinstalled Windows XP SP2 with that computer's built-in recovery partition or with a Windows XP SP2 disc.

Go here to download and save the full 316 MB SP3 upgrade.

If you have the capability to burn that upgrade to a CD-R or copy it to a USB thumb drive, do so.

If you need to do another reinstall of Windows XP SP2 in the future, you'll have the upgrade readily available to install afterwards.

------------------------------------------------------------

Unless you plan to install any programs that require it, there is no need for you to install:

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1

Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0

-----------------------------------------------------------

5. AtlBo

AtlBo

helpme52...might help flavallee if you could list the programs you are having trouble installing other than SP2...

6. helpme52

helpme52 Thread Starter

Microsoft Updates

7. helpme52

helpme52 Thread Starter

1512G81 service number

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    According to service tag number 1512G81, your computer is a Dell Dimension XPS Gen 5 desktop.

Here is the Dell support site that's specific only to your desktop.

I suggest you add and save this site in your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can readily refer to it when needed.

According to its system configuration section, it was purchased in September 2005 and came with Windows XP Home Edition SP2 pre-installed.

I resurrect and upgrade older Windows XP computer on a regular basis, so I'll give you some tips and a sequence of steps that should help you.

Since your Windows XP reinstallation disc is SP2, you need to download and save and then burn the full SP3 upgrade to a CD-R.

Install Windows XP SP2, then restart the computer.

Install the SP3 upgrade, then restart the computer.

Go to Windows Update and do a "custom" scan.

Uncheck all high-priority entries that are associated with Microsoft .NET Framework.

Download and install all the other high-priority updates, then restart the computer.

Go back to Windows Update and do another "custom" scan.

Download and install any additional high-priority updates that are not associated with Microsoft .NET Framework, then restart the computer.

The goal is to get Windows XP up-to-date before you start installing programs and extras in your computer.

If you decide in the future that you need version 3.5 SP1(includes versions 2.0 and 3.0) or version 4.0 of Microsoft .NET Framework, you can download and install them.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089932

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice