1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: updating win.xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mrdmc13, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mrdmc13

mrdmc13 Thread Starter

I have a desktop I bought at a yard sale. It has win.xp running thats dated around 2007! can I bring it up to date from here on my laptop or do I have to wipe it clean and start with a new software pkg?:rolleyes:

2. AtlBo

AtlBo

Hello mrdmc13...

If you have an internet connection, you will be able to bring it up to date from the laptop.

Find "My Computer" on the desktop and right click on it. On the "General" tab check to make sure you have Service Pack 3 at the bottom of the area which shows your Windows Edition. If not, go here and download and install SP2:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=28

Then go here and download and install SP3:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24

Service Pack 3 will start the automatic updates process...

3. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Sometimes when you buy a used computer its better to do a clean reinstall providing you have the disks for it to do so to get rid of whatever was on there from the previous owner.there is going to be about 100+ updates to put in also.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the brand name, model name, and model number of that desktop?

What's the version of Windows that's on the Microsoft Certificate-Of-Authenticity sticker that has the product key?

Does it start up and load Windows?

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. mrdmc13

mrdmc13 Thread Starter

Its an emachien model #13410 running win xp yes it starts and loads but not loading without the reboot disk I purchased from Spotmau over the internet. that reboot allowed it to get to where I am now and a techguy gentalman {altbo} I beleive is his username lead me to the update process but now its asking for a sys.restore cd/dvd which I haven't got. are you telling me I should wipe it clean then reinstall or update win xp?

6. AtlBo

AtlBo

mrdmc13...having a little trouble finding your machine for reference. It would help me to be able to reference the PCs specs, so I can tell you more about what to expect when it comes to restoring this PC to working order.

Got some questions for you...were you able to complete the Windows Updates process? Also, are you able to boot into Windows now, or are you being stopped from doing so by the message asking for the sys.restore cd/dvd?

This sounds somewhat promising, although definitely not as promising as an XP installation disk:

http://support.gateway.com/emachines/desktop/2009/gateway/dx/dx4300/DX4710faq6.shtml

The first part says that if you press Alt + F10 repeatedly just after the machine boot begins (during the manufacturer's boot screen), the system may restore itself...

What can I say? Sounds like it's worth a try...

7. AtlBo

AtlBo

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Recheck the model number of that desktop. I'm guessing you have a eMachines T3410.

You haven't advised if Windows XP Home Edition or Windows XP Professional is on the Microsoft Certificate-Of-Authenticity sticker.

You do NOT want to use a computer that has 5 - 6 years of "debris" and problems from its previous owner(s). You NEED to do a clean install of windows XP and get a fresh start with it.

The support site will have the necessary drivers to install after Windows XP has been installed.

------------------------------------------------------------

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085615

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice