Solved: upgrade 98 to 98se

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

zookre

I have a computer running win 98 and I want to upgrade it to 98se so I can use my new thumb drive I got for christmas. I went to pny's web site and they don't have drivers for 98 just 98se. I have a upgrade disk that I had for my old computer that I upgraded from 95 to 98se could I use that disk to upgrade from 98 to 98se?

SirKenin

Banned
Yes, you should be able to use that disk without any problems. A Win98SE upgrade CD is a Win98SE upgrade CD is a....

SirKenin

Banned
It doesn't matter. If you delete it off the old computer you can move it with you to the new computer. He's stating that he "had" the old computer. Not that he has it.

Where in the EULA does it say that?
Software Product Transfer. You may permanently transfer all of your rights under this EULA only as part of a permanent sale or transfer of the HARDWARE, provided you retain no copies, you transfer all of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT (including all component parts, the media and printed materials, any upgrades, this EULA and, if applicable, the Certificate(s) of Authenticity), and the recipient agrees to the terms of this EULA. If the SOFTWARE PRODUCT is an upgrade, any transfer must also include all prior versions of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT.

It says you may transfer the software, and that may only be done with transfer of the hardware. The XP license says you can install it on a different computer if you delete it from the old one, but the 98 license does not say that.

SirKenin

Banned
It doesn't have to say that. The absence of it means that you can do it, and by saying it "may" be done means that it doesn't have to be done. Trust me, you can keep your CD and use it on your new computer. It's either that, or as a registered Microsoft OEM partner I've been breaking the license agreement for years.

SirKenin said:
Trust me, you can keep your CD and use it on your new computer.
That depends entirely on what was done with the old computer. As far as we know, its still running 98SE and we can't say one way or another without knowing more details.

SirKenin

Banned
True, but your making assumptions, and you should never assume. Let's say that until he says otherwise he has complied with the license agreement and we're not going to judge him and tell him to go running out to buy something he doesn't need.

Ok, to go with the technical answer and ignore the legal answer- you can use the upgrade CD as SirKenin said. Legal answer- maybe, but it depends on what you did with the old computer.

zookre

thanks for all the replys, the old computer is long gone, so it (98se) will only be used on one, it is my backup puter.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online