1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Upgrade from release preview?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Battlesoaked, Aug 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Battlesoaked

Battlesoaked Thread Starter

Can I upgrade or "migrate" from the Win8 RP to the paid version when it comes out? I have XP running on the machine now (the upgrade advisor says it will run 7), and it's so buggy with viruses that I can't partition or image it. So I would need to overwrite the XP installation with the 8 RP to make it a usable Windows machine. Paul Thurrott, on Windows Weekly, said that you can put 8 on any hardware which can run it for $40. I took that to mean that you do not have to have XP, Vista, or 7 running on the machine before the installation of 8.

Thanks in advance,
    Scott

2. Battlesoaked

Thanks kevin2s. Do I need an XP, Vista, or 7 product key to install the RP version?

3. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Supposedly you can upgrade directly from windows 8 release preview
    to windows 8 retail at the special upgrade price without needing a previous version.
    It does state however,that you won't be able to save you files or settings.
    So backup your data.

4. Battlesoaked

Very good. Thank you leroys1000. So what I'll do with this machine is run the 8 and the Office 2013 previews, then upgrade in October. And then I may or may not use one of my Office 2010 home activations on it. And from what I'm hearing the Office 2013 release will actually be in 2013. Anybody hear any different?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1065006

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice