1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Upgrade from Win95 to 98SE

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Blizzard, Jan 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Blizzard

Blizzard Thread Starter

Hello;
    I have browsed the threads and have seen several similar questions, however I have a few specifics to inquire about. I want to upgrade from 95 to 98se, have a full version 98se CD, along with a boot disk for 98se.
    Correct me in the sequence if I am wrong:
    1) format C - is this done in DOS?
    2) boot up w/98SE CD or boot disk?

I have been told I can upgrade without removing 95, but would rather have 98SE on there clean. I may be in over my head here as you can see by my questions, but I am attempting to save my friend some headaches - in other words, take them on myself.

Thanks,
    Blizzard

2. stnwerks

stnwerks

3. Toddles18

Toddles18

Few things first, you can't upgrade with a full install cd, has to be an upgrade cd.

If you want to do a clean install I'll guide you through the steps.

1. Startup disk. I recommend downloading the win98se startup disk <a href="http://www.user-friendly.net/ftp/pub/Boot%20Disks/boot98se.exe"> here </a> instead of using a win95 boot disk because the win98 disk includes cr-rom support, which you need

2. Run the file to create your startup disk

3. Insert disk into floppy drive and restart.

4. Start computer with cd-rom support

5. Type "format c:" at the prompt, without the ""s

6. It will ask you if your sure, hit yes, enter a label if you so desire.

7. You should end back up at the c:\ prompt, if instead your at the a:\ prompt just type "c:"

8. Type "mkdir win98"

9. type copy d:\win98 c:\win98

10. Windows98 files should all copy to the directory you created

11. Hit ctrl-alt-del

12. start computer without cd-rom support

13. type "c:\win98\setup"

There is a shorter way to do this but this way all of your files are already on the hard drive for the future times when your computer asks for your win98 cd.

4. stnwerks

stnwerks

Toddles 18
    Thanks
    I wondered how to set it up this way ,a tech set up our pc with windows on the hdd last july. very handy! always good to learn!
    Steve

5. Blizzard

Blizzard Thread Starter

Thanks to all who responded to my query. With your help I was able to wipe the hard drive clean and install Win98SE without a problem.

6. JOHNNYREVO1

JOHNNYREVO1

HERES MY STORY, AND I'M STIKKIN" TO IT....
    THE BEST WAY TO UPGRADE YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM IS TO BUY A COMPUTER THAT ALLREADY HAS THE OS YOU WANT ON IT,,AND WAS MADE FOR THAT OS ..I SPENT IT SEEMS LIKE A HUNDRED BILLION DOLLARS ON MY OLD 95,,THOUGHT I COULD JUST THROW IN 98SE AND RUN WITH THE CLOUDS...NOPE, DIDNT WORK AS WELL AS I PLANNED..HAD LOADS OF PROBS WITH USB DEVICES,SEVERAL OTHER 98SE FUNCTIONS WERE ALSO HARD TO GET TO WORK ,OR SIMPLY DIDN'T WORK AT ALL,,,WENT AND BOUGHT ME A SYSTEMAX PC,,,,HAD IT FOR 3 YEARS NOW AND ITS HARD TO KILL. :) :D :p

7. Whittibo

Whittibo

I am following Toddles18's directions to reformat my HD that had Win95, so that I can load Win98 (because I didn't have an upgrade of Win98)

anyway.. I got as far as reformatting, and everything went as planned, but now my D drive isn't being seen?

any advice??

8. stnwerks

stnwerks

hello Whittibo
    What is probably the problem is youd D drive has been changed to E not sure why this happens but it does reasign the letter upwards.
    Best of luck!!!!!!
    Gday steve

9. Whittibo

Whittibo

Thanks Steve..
    I actually started a new thread because I wasn't sure anyone would read/respond here since it was {resolved} :( things are coming along pretty good.. I appreciate your wisdom and reply..

10. stnwerks

stnwerks

Cool
    have a great day!!!!!!!!!!
    steve

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65900

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice