1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Upgrade or Full Version Office 2007?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Sandycane, Aug 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sandycane

Sandycane Thread Starter

Which do I need to purchase: Upgrade or Full Version of Office (small business) 2007?

The office computer has Word, Excel (2003) and Power Point but not the other programs that come with this package.

I searched the Microsoft web site for a contact/phone number and found none.

What I mostly want to know is if I will get a physical disk with the purchase or just an online download/installation.

I'm assuming the upgrade is done over the net and a disk is sent in the mail with the full version...
    Does anyone know?
    Thanks,
    Sandy

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

All Microsoft versions are by disk only, even upgrades.

3. Sandycane

Sandycane Thread Starter

That's good news, thank you.

I made the mistake once of purchasing software online with online download (maybe an anti-virus program?).
    When an error message appeared and said to 're-install' I had nothing to re-instal from...and it took forever to get help from the company. What a nightmare.

So, if I purchase the upgrade version will it also install the other programs that I don't have now? I read somewhere that an upgrade will only work if you have the original full version already installed. Is that true?

4. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

5. Sandycane

Sandycane Thread Starter

Thank you, EAFiedler.
    I've been reading that web site for two days and still haven't seen where it says you actually get a disk, sent snail-mail, to install from.
    Contacting a MS sales rep is impossible it seems.

6. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Click on the Buy Now links, they take you to sources where you can purchase the Office suites. Like Amazon.com.

An Upgrade version is cheaper, it has the prerequisite of a previously purchased Office suite or other suitable product requirement.
    A Retail/Full version can be installed on any machine, it does not require a previous product to install.

This gives the Retail/Upgrade prices and product requirements for an upgrade:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/FX101754511033.aspx#1

7. Sandycane

Sandycane Thread Starter

Thank you.

8. Sandycane

Sandycane Thread Starter

I think I need to rephrase my question:

If I have, on my computer, Word but No Excell and No Power Point and I purchase the upgrade version of Office 2007 with Word, Excell and Power Point, will all three programs be installed on my computer?

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Qualification for the upgrade is dependent on what product is currently installed or that you have a full license for. If you just have Word on your computer but it was installed from a full productivity suite, the upgrade will likely ask you which components you want to install and install them. If, however, you only have Word installed because that's the only component you purchased, you do not have a qualifying product or license to use for an upgrade, and the other components are not likely to be installed.

10. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

In one of your programs, Word, Excel or PowerPoint,
    Click: Help > About
    This should tell you the type of Office suite.

Let us know what that says, so we can help determine if you have a qualifying product.

When I look at my Help > About Office Outlook, it says:
    Microsoft Office Outlook 2003
    Part of Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003

11. Sandycane

Sandycane Thread Starter

Okay, I have: 'Microsoft office Word 2003 (11.8215.8202) sp3'
    This is on my home computer.
    So, the upgrade for Excell and Power Point, won't work for me, right?
    Will the upgrade work if I install the trial version of Office 2007 first?

12. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

It doesn't say anything about a Standard Edition, below that first line?
    If not, I would say you do not have a qualifying product.

Downloading the trial version won't work, you have to have purchased one of the Microsoft Office suites, before you would qualify for the Upgrade version.
    You would need to purchase the Retail or Full version of Microsoft Office.

You might consider trying OpenOffice, it is free. No kidding. :)
    http://download.openoffice.org/

13. Sandycane

Sandycane Thread Starter

This seems strange to me...
    I looked again at the Help/About page in Word and clicked on 'System Information' at the bottom.
    Here is what was at the bottom of the list in the left hand column under 'Office 2003 Applications' :

Word 2003
    Excel 2003
    Power Point 2003
    Outlook
    Access
    Publisher
    Front Page
    Office 2003 Environment
    Office Event/Application Fault

:confused::confused::confused:

Besides Word, none of these are on my Add/Remove Program list, c:\ Program Files or anywhere else that I can see. They didn't come up when I did a Start/Search either.
    How can I find these in my computer and open them up?

14. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

If you click: Summary for each program in Office, look in the right hand pane, do you see a directory for Application path?

Application path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\

Your directory may be slightly different than mine (I had two versions installed at one time), look in that directory for these files:
    Excel.exe
    Msaccess.exe
    Mspub.exe
    Outlook.exe
    Powerpnt.exe
    Winword.exe

15. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Expand the entries and click on Summary. Is there information in the right pane of the window? Or does it say that application is not installed? Also, what was on the 2nd line of the box when you click Help -> About in Word? Right underneath the product name, is there anything that says "Part of Microsoft Office....."? What are the entries in Add/Remove Programs related to Office? Does it list Word separately? Or is there any entry for an Office suite?

How did you get Office on your computer? Did it come with it? Did you purchase your computer from a retailer like HP or Dell? Or did you buy it used from someone? Or did someone build it for you? Do you have any Office installation disks? If not, there's a risk in purchasing just upgrade disks. If you needed to reinstall your computer or buy a new system, you wouldn't be able to install Office without the disks for a qualifying upgrade product.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/736023

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice