1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by DevilDogMom, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DevilDogMom

DevilDogMom Thread Starter

I don't know what to do and what order to do it in. I was told to

1. back up the Vista PC
    2. get a "transfer" cable
    3. Transfer the docs and images etc by cable to the laptop
    4. Then load Windows 7 without removing Vista

Is this right? Am I missing something very important?
    After upgrade the Vista PC will be used for email, internet searches and card games only.

I need to move my data from the Vista PC to my new Windows 7 laptop.
    I used Word 2007 in Vista. Can I move and open 07 documents in Word 10 on my laptop?
    Can I move my favorites from Vista to Windows 7?
    I use Thunderbird by gmx. Can I install Tbird on the laptop and then export everything? Or do I have to use the transfer cable to do the email?

Since I am installing Windows 7 do I need to make a recovery disk for Vista? Sorry for all the questions. I am not so worried about moving data as I am missing an important step somewhere. Thank you for any assistance and for not asking me "don't I have a teenager in the house that can do this for me"
    I wish. My son the Marine is not available and he is no teenager.

If there is a better forum please send me in that direction.

g

2. Lance1

Lance1

Hello DevilDogMom and Welcome to TSG!

First, have you ran the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to see if you are compatible?

You don't need a transfer cable to move data from PC to PC. You can use a USB thumb drive or USB external drive or transfer over the network. But if you have one, you can.

Yes that will not be an issue.

Yes, But first what Browser are you using? if you are running Firefox you can use MozBackup to backup all favorites and setting.

You can transfer all mail and setting of Thunderbird with MozBackup as well.

It is always a good idea to create recover disks yes. If the upgrade goes bad you can recover Vista with those disks.

3. DevilDogMom

I have not used the Windows 7 upgrade adviser. What will that do for me?

I forgot to mention in my post that I am on a network at home. Does that make the process easier?

I use Firefox. I believe I can do the favorites and email with no problems now that I know what to use to move it all.

And I know how to make the recover disks.

I cannot thank you enough for your assistance. I probably would have gotten it all done but now it will be quicker and easier.

I appreciate your time. Gail

4. DevilDogMom

I ran the upgrade adviser. I can upgrade. I do have some drivers to download and some things to install after the upgrade like itunes Aside from those small issues everything else is compatible. I did not understand why the report recommended that I upgrade Java to a paid version when Java 7 update 10 works for Windows 7. I am glad the upgrade is for 32 bit and not 64.

One last thing, do I install Windows 7 on top of Vista? Will Windows 7 erase Vista? Thanks again. Gail

5. Lance1

Lance1

That will not make a difference.

You do not have to get the paid version. That's just a money grabber. Just install the regular Java.

Yes the upgrade is integrated into Vista. And being an upgrade you will not lose any data, and all your installed application should remain intact.

Just make sure you choose Upgrade during the installation. Let us know how the upgrade goes Gail.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you do an "upgrade" install all of Vista's corruption, all data, and most or all installed programs should be preserved. If you do "custom" (clean) install you will have a new computer in the software sense.

7. DevilDogMom

I have not gotten to my computer stuff - family in town. I will get it done in the next day or so. I will let you know as soon as it is finished. I am pretty sure I understand everything you have told me. Thank you again -

Gail

8. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

Depending on what computer you have, it may not be necessary to download drivers at all. I recently upgraded my laptop (Dell Vostro 1000) from XP to 7. This model was sold with XP only as a special order, so Dell has no specific Win 7 drivers for it. But the drivers on the upgrade disk work just fine.

9. DevilDogMom

Hello. I am back and ready to transfer my data from Vista to Windows 7 laptop. I have read through every thing you told me. I also ran the Win 7 upgrade advisor report. I did something and don't know what happened or how to fix it. It was my habit to create folders on my desktop for Word documents. I had quite a few folders. I was copying the folders to a flash drive, and then deleting the folders from the desktop. I checked that the folders were on the flash before deleting the old folders. When I copied the last folder I deleted the Word icon from the desktop. The normal box opened telling me that deleting the desktop shortcut would not delete the program. Well in this case it did. Word was installed on the Vista PC. I normally opened the needed documents from the desktop I looked for Word and although it is still listed in my start menu it is no where to be found. I checked all the places I know to check, control panel etc and it is not listed. How did I manage to delete the software by just deleting the shortcut? When I realized it was gone I copied the main folder back to the desktop. I can open all the documents in it, and Word functions as normal. I am completely confused on what I did. I have the original disks and can reinstall Word but what did I do? Can you explain this to me? Now I am concerned that in my efforts to transfer etc I will do something wrong. I know I sound very dumb but I am lost about this. Thanks.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You got an error message when you clicked on that link? How about in the All Programs menu?

Pretty sure it should be C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINWORD.EXE for Office/Word 2010. The "Office14" will be a different number for other versions.

I don't know what you did to remove Word, of if you did. If you can now open Word documents with Word but the links in the Start Menu and All Programs menu don't work then you did not remove Word, and I don't know why the links are broken.

11. DevilDogMom

The fact that I can open documents and use them means I didn't delete Word - right? When I clicked on Word in the start menu I got the following error message

Microsoft Office Word 2007

The item you selected is unavailable. It might have been moved, renamed, or removed. Do you want to remove it from the list?

Then I can select yes or no.

I am sorry but I don't understand your comment about the links. If Word is still in my PC then why can't I find it? Oh wait I know. Because I don't have a clue where to look? :) I do make fun of myself.

What else can I tell you about what I did? Everything I copied to the flash works. It was only after I copied that I deleted the desktop folders. Does the fact I saved my important folders and docs to the desktop have anything to do with it? And deleting the shortcut should not have harmed anything. But it was after I deleted the shortcut that Word was missing.

Is there an easy way to look for it or should I just forget it? This is the Vista PC that will soon be upgraded to Win 7 and Office 10. As long as I have the documents I can reinsert them - right?

Thanks .Gail

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Having the documents saved is the important thing. I have no other ideas about the mysterious Word disappearance.

13. Lance1

Lance1

Did you follow TerryNet's advice and look in the above location? If you can open Word documents it will be there.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Word.png
      Word.png
      File size:
      117.3 KB
      Views:
  14. DevilDogMom

I have always used software, like Word, without bothering to learn the in and outs of using it. That is a bad way to use a computer. I found Word in my installed programs list. I used the repair option. Whatever I did was found and corrected. Such a simple fix that I was completely unaware of. Thank you for the help.

Gail

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083490

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice