Solved: Upgrade to XP pro from XP Home...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Daniel C

Does anyone know of a way for me to upgrade from XP Home to Pro, online? Or is it just as inexpensive to buy a CD at a local Software store? and what should be the upgrade price, more or less?

Thanks in advance, Dan

Daniel C

If I buy the 1 CD XP Pro, can I legally install it on my Desktop pC and also on my Laptop? If I do this will I NOT be able to use the "Windows Updates" feature for one of my PCs?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Legally, you can install it on only one computer. I won't entertain the 'what if' aspects ;)

Daniel C

I really only need it for my laptop, there are a couple of new sofwares that will only run on XP Pro... or so they say when trying to install... Thanks so very much for the fast responce... :cool:

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
You're welcome. You can mark your thread solved by using the THREAD TOOLS drop down menu :)

Have a great day!

Daniel C said:
If I buy the 1 CD XP Pro, can I legally install it on my Desktop pC and also on my Laptop? If I do this will I NOT be able to use the "Windows Updates" feature for one of my PCs?
You have to register it with MS, so you'd have to register it with two different machines. I believe now that when you try to register a second machine on the same Product ID#, you will be told that ID is already registered on a second machine. You don't need two separate CDs--just a separate Produce ID# you can get from MS, which is probably better. What you do is create your own CD and slipstream it with the Service Packs so that if you have to reinstall or repair, you don't have to re-download and re-install the latest service pack:

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=295

You can run the Home on one machine and the XP on another. One time I had to upgrade a machine to XP Professional from Home and then used the license for the XP Home to upgrade another laptop from Win2000. I had to call MS and tell them to register it over the phone because it wouldn't let me install the XP Home on the other computer with the license it had because it was already registered on the other machine. MS is pretty good about that stuff--I am sure if you called, they'd probably let you register both machines with XP Pro since you already have a Home license. The worse that can happen is they tell you you can't do it.

AcaCandy could probably tell you all kinds of ways to beat MS out of Product IDs, but she ain't talkin! :eek: :D

Daniel C

Not really trying to beat them out of anything, just want to check for the most economical way... BTW, what is this? "Additive version upgrade license"

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Lol. Being an MVP, we're provided with free copies of XP Pro and XP Home, good to install on up to 10 computers each.

You should have stuck around the tech side Mulder instead of being sucked into the Random zone :p

AcaCandy said:
Lol. Being an MVP, we're provided with free copies of XP Pro and XP Home, good to install on up to 10 computers each.

You should have stuck around the tech side Mulder instead of being sucked into the Random zone :p
Why? I just take one of your licences! ;)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online