Solved: Upgraded hard drive, audio refuses to work.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Alys

I updated my hard drive last night and went from a 60 gig hard drive to a 320. I reinstalled windows xp no problem, and proceeded to reinstall all my drivers (first of course was my graphics and wireless card). However, as I was going through the drivers, my audio refused to install.

The site I have been getting all my drivers from is http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=ca&lang=en&product=3177437

The only difference in operating system is that my 60 gig is Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2 and this is Service Pack 3.

My sound card still works fine as since I have changed hard drives I have swapped them out and gone back to my 60 gig when I initially had issues with trying to connect to the internet and had to download the driver onto my external hard drive so I could get online with this one.

The only difference in hard drives is the size, they are both made by the same company.

Any help to getting my audio to work would be MUCH appreciated.

Also, this being an HP laptop with the touch sensitive music controls and quickplay, any idea on getting my quickplay working again would be apprecaited as well, just as a side quest for now =)

did u install the chipset driver 1st ? also there is 2 audio drivers on the list which did u load

Alys

I did install the chipset driver but it was not the first thing I installed, and out of the two drivers on the list the microsoft one has to be installed before the connexant one can be installed, the first installs fine but the connexant one refuses to install, I keep getting the error message "Driver Installation Failed: Could not find MEDIA device"

Alys

That IS the right model, I used the auto detect feature on the site already, thanks for assuming I'm a complete idiot.

crjdriver

First of all, being rude is NOT going to get you any help. Next when you install an os, you need to install in this order. It is even more important for non-intel chipsets like what you have.
1 Install the os
2 Update to the latest service pack; for xp sp3
3 Install the chipset driver
4 Install sound, nic drivers as necessary
5 Install video driver last

Failure to install in the above order often results in a driver not configuring itself correctly.

Alys

The OS I installed already had sp3 but I found out later that sp3 has issues with audio drivers for my laptop, so I got rid of it and went back to sp2, which works fine. And it didnt matter the order, I installed my graphic, audio, then chipset and it all works fine.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online