1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: upgraded RAM to 8GB, only 3.96 useable

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jersey_ernie, Feb 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jersey_ernie

jersey_ernie Thread Starter

Dell Inspiron 580 running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit initially had 4 GB ram(4 1GB cards)
    recently changed to 8GB by replacing all 4 with Kingston 2GB DDR3 PC3 8500 - 804ms-804-K.
    Now Windows System screen shows 8GB installed and 3.96GB useable. I don't know what to do next.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 30 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 4055 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 310, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 305142 MB, Free - 212374 MB; M: Total - 953197 MB, Free - 255902 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 033FF6
    Antivirus: Norton Security Suite, Updated and Enabled

2. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
    Disregard......

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Go to start>run and type "msconfig" without quotes and hit enter. I think it is on the advanced or boot tab. Check to see if a max amount of memory box is checked. If so, uncheck and restart.

I am using linux right now so I cannot check the exact location of the setting.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One other thing. Run is not shown by default. If your system does not show a run command, you will have to tell it to do so by right clicking on task bar>start menu>customize

5. Simba7

Simba7

Check the settings in your BIOS. Also, it probably would've been cheaper to just buy a pair of 4GB sticks since it can handle up to 16GB.

I checked Dell's site and there are several people running 8GB just fine. It has to be a mis-configured setting somewhere either in the OS or in the BIOS.'

EDIT: Also, check to see if you have the latest BIOS. http://www.dell.com/support/drivers...osCode=W764&fileId=2731099358&languageCode=en

6. jersey_ernie

Thanks for the replies...CRJDRIVER: I checked msconfig under boot, advanced and max memory box was not checked.
    and SIMBA7: i already have the latest BIOS (A07) Dell. i ran SPECCY utility and it shows all 4 memory sticks installed and correct, but system still on has 3.96GB useable. I imagine it is a setting somewhere, but where???

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    How much Ram is shown in the Bios ?

8. dai

dai

try the in different slots

the ram is all rated at the same voltage?

9. jersey_ernie

in BIOS Installed=4096MB.....Available=4088MB

10. jersey_ernie

To dai...yes, all 4 sticks are 1.5volts....when I first installed the 4 and rebooted, Windows Sysyem screen only showed 4GB installed. I ran Belarc Advisor which showed Memory Modules= 4056MB slot 'DIMM1' empty, slot 'DIMM2' has 2048 MB, slot 'DIMM3' is empty, slot 'DIMM4' has 2048MB.
    So I tries swapping stick in slot 1 with slot 2 and the stick in slot 3 with slot 4. I then rebooted and now it shows 8GB installed and only 3.96GB available. Should I swap them in a different manner?

11. jersey_ernie

i was advised by Memorystock.com that Windows 7 home premium will not support 8GB. i will attempt to verify that with Dell or MS and advise forum...thanks for you folks help

12. dai

dai

13. jersey_ernie

thank you dai...I suspected they were wrong...I think they were trying to get rid of me as they didn't know a fix.

14. dai

dai

missed this post earlier

if the bios does not see it windows has no chance of seeing it

[in BIOS Installed=4096MB.....Available=4088MB]

causes

1/ the sticks are not seated properly

when the clips click over it does not mean the ram is seated

2/ wrong setting in the bios

reset the cmos and see if the bios then sees the 8g

found these,it is like looking for a needle in a haystack at times

msconfig go to boot , advance and uncheck number of processors and maximum memory

http://i4memory.com/f54/asus-x58-6-...g-detecting-less-memory-than-installed-19200/

15. AppoTheApple

AppoTheApple

Try figuring out which two sticks of RAM are working by inserting one RAM stick at a time. Maybe you have 2 defective sticks or you shorted two of the slots.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090913

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice