1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Upgrading a Dell Dim 8100 - is replacing the motherboard an option

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kmalik, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kmalik

kmalik Thread Starter

I have Dell Dim 8100, whose performance and virtual memory problems have me looking seriously into replacing it by buying a new desktop.

The three things I do not like in my current system are:
    1. Low RAM (256MB), but old and expensive to replace. This is the main stumbling block as the system slows down and jams up multiple times during a day. And, frankly I am hesitant to take on the challenge of adding memory, due to lack of experience. I almost bought the memory, but then worried about bios - and how out of date they were, etc.
    2. USB Drive - I believe it has the old USB 1.1 drive that is awfully slow.
    3. The processor is slow, although I could live with it.
    I have a large relatively new hard drive (180GB) and other peripherals are sufficient for my needs.

Is refurbishing the system by replacing the two components I do not like an option? If so, what'd I need - and how could I go about it, given that I am not technically savvy.

Would love to find a way to keep on with the same system, as it has the software setup I need. Thanks a lot.

2. bigbear

bigbear

The first thing to consider is if you install a new mobo then you will have reinstall windows and software.
    Secondly as I understand it fitting an "off the shelf" mobo may prove differcult as Dell have there own custom mobos.
    It might be easier to buy a new case, install new mobo etc and use what you can from the Dell pc, hard drive, optical drives, floppy etc

3. Lurker1

Lurker1

Well your system uses RDram which is pretty much obsolete now. It must be installed in matching pairs. Your system should support up to 2 gig of RAM. If you are currently using only two memory boards you can double your current memory for $110.

http://www.archmemory.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=33426

You can always buy a USB 2 card for you system so thats not a problem.

I think you would be better off doing as big bear syggests and use the money to get a new case, motherboard and standard memory.

4. kmalik

kmalik Thread Starter

Thanks a lot. These replies help my understanding of the situation. I had considered and rejected the idea of putting more memory into it - partly because I am not experienced in installing it, partly because compatibility might be a concern, and finally to avoid sinking good money after bad.

Seems like I need a new system. Will see if I can make this one work for the time being, and look to buy a system locally to reuse my hard drive and peripherals.

Thanks again for all the help and information.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482946

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice