1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: upgrading from a gt220 graphics card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by therealarbiter, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. therealarbiter

therealarbiter Thread Starter

hi im upgrading from a gt220 and i want to know if my system can support the hd5670 because from the site gpureveiws i have read that the max power draws from the gt220 are 58w and the hd 5670 only 61 and i was wondering if my system could support gt220 could it support the hd5670 here is the link

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=617&card2=623#

specs:
    dell inspiron 560
    amd phenom II 820 x4 @2.8 ghz
    nvidia geforce gt220
    6gb ddr3 ram
    windows 7

im a bit of a newbie to computer stuff so thats why im asking

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Do you have the 560MT or 560ST? The MT is the regular size mid tower, the 560ST is a slim tower.

The MT has a weak 300 watt power supply, the ST has an even weaker 250 watt power supply. Dell uses power supplies that are just barely rated to handle the stock configuration. ATI recommends a 400 watt power supply. So you'll need a new power supply as well. FYI for the GT220 they recommend a 350 watt power supply.

3. therealarbiter

i have the mt version but i have heard of people running this card on a 300w powersupply should i upgrade just to be safe

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes, you should. If the power supply fails because it was overloaded it can potentially take out the motherboard and video card.

A quality brand 450 watt or higher would be recommended as that will give you head room in the future. Corsair, OCZ, Antec, Enermax are a few good brands. The cheap $20 and $30 are going to be worse then what you have.

5. therealarbiter

6. Compiler

Compiler

Actually, such a PSU as that Axle is the kind of PSU to avoid. It only has 14amp on the 12v rail. The 380w PSU in my son's computer as two 12v rails with 16a each. Easily a more powerful PSU, costs more and can handle a 5670 card.

We recommend quality PSUs, yeah they costs $10~30 more, but they don't fail as much and their features & abilities usually match the labels. Also, cheap PSUs may run their tests in a COLD room... cheating their numbers.

I have seen 400~500w PSUs that were weaker and junkier than the 250w units dell uses.

7. Compiler

Compiler

Look on the side of the Dell PSU, it should have the amps.

The thing about PSUs and videos cards, which is really the only issue for the consumer market, is that the wattages are more like guide-lines than exact specks. Why?

- Any CPU + mobo + HD, etc are fine with a 250~350watt PSU. A typical home PC will use about 100~150watts.
    - Video card is the big power user, requiring 30~300 watts, and some people maybe have 2,3 or even 4 cards!

- Because of different configs of hardware with various PSUs, the graphic card makers will PAD what is really needed. "400w" is to help cover the junky PSUs on the market. They can't keep up with all the brands, that is a bit of the customer or the PC builders job. ie: A $400 video card would be more reliable with a $80 550watt PSU over a $45 "700watt" unit.

- So because of funny math, you have to go by AMPs and its best to go with a quality unit. if the cheap manufacturing is already playing with the numbers... then you don't know what you have. The better brands will have a 3~5year warranty.
    I remember a best-buy brand PSU in which the 550w & 650w models were the exact same thing.

So refer to the brands that Triple6 recommended, but you may include: Thermaltake, FSP Group, Seasonic as well. Some of the higher end CoolerMasters are okay, but I'd go with the others as first choice. Pretty much ANYTHING else, avoid.

With a quality 550w PSU, you can power pretty much anything that'll fit your case. Such as the ATI 5800 series... but not the 5970 or the GeForce 480 or 470. Keep your original Dell PSU so that when you do your next upgrade, you can keep your higher end PSU.

Corsair is my favorite to work with that I use for my clients who can afford it... about $80 for 550watts. Thermaltake makes a good 500w unit for about $50. Corsair: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...04&cm_re=Corsair_power-_-17-139-004-_-Product
    Thermaltake: $60 : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m_re=thermaltake_power-_-17-153-113-_-Product Antec 500 ($70 / $45r) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...1007&cm_re=antec_power-_-17-371-007-_-Product

8. therealarbiter

kool i will keep that in mind im gonna buy a thermaltake becouse it fits my budget

9. Compiler

Compiler

Please post back here and let us know how that PSU fits into your case... if you had to bend metal or whatever. So we'll know of any issues to tell someone who has your Dell.

Do not get the 430w Thermaltake - its actually longer than many PSUs and is an older design... still a good value for many people, but not for those with Dells and HPs which are usually very short cases (front to back). I've jammed one into a HP and there is barely room for the cables between it and the DVD drives. (I say this more for others who may read this in the future).

10. therealarbiter

i have not bought the thermaltake psu but have bought the ocz stealth extreme 500w psu it fits fine and works with the graphics card

11. Compiler

Compiler

Thanks, its good to know that regular PSUs will work in Dell 560~580.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914697

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice