Solved: Upgrading from Windows Vista 32 bit Home Premium to Windows Ultimate 64 bit

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

NeedsTechSupport

As the title suggests, I want to upgrade to my machine to Windows 64 bit doing a clean install. I was wondering though, since I have two physical drives installed, (one for the os and the other for media) will it just erase the contents of the drive I install it on or will it erase the contents of both drives? Thanks for any help on this.

NeedsTechSupport

Hi there. I used the tool and everything says it passed for a Windows 7 64-bit upgrade. I was going to upgrade to "Vista" Ultimate because I didn't think I could do Windows 7, but if I can do it then, why not. So any who, back to my original question, after doing a little research, I found that as long as I specify the drive in which I choose to perform the install on, the other drive should not be affected correct?

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Yes that is correct - providing the drivers can be found this is the procedure to follow

1. Ensure all your personal data is backed up eg your favourites, docs, music and pictures etc. Also your bookmarks and any settings you wish for your browser
Although you are installing 64 bit windows 7 it uses a 32 bit IE and the settings will all transfer
So you back up your personal items
NOT the user folder the files in there for the personal items

ON IE you click the File tab you click Import and Export you then click Export to a file and next and then click on what you wish to export and follow the guidance - you of course export to a file either on an external drive - that is best or on the partition or disk that you are NOT installing 7 on

You cannot perform an in place upgrade from a 32 bit to a 64 bit OS so when you boot to the Windows 7 disc you select Custom Install

Step 3 and the link at the bottom of that page on this link will guide you

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/...om-windows-vista-to-windows-7-custom#T1=tab04

so on that step 3 page you then click to expand

To install a 64-bit version of Windows 7 on a computer running a 32-bit version of Windows Vista

You may find this guide is more descriptive and with more images

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/20146-custom-install-windows-7-a.html

If you have any problems please just post. If you have any questions NOW as I see you are online and watching the topic I will be here for the next hour or so, please ask whatever you wish to be further explained

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You are welcome
Would you please click on the mark solved button for me on one of your posts
Thanks and pleased to have helped

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online