Solved: Upgrading from Windows XP to Window 7

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DarrinSav

Well, Finally going to move to Windows 7, I have ran the Windows 7 advisor and everything checks out fine, No conflicts. The only thing is I'm going to have to do a clean install, I have never done this so I need some help. Can some one give me step by step directions or If possible link a video to help me out so I don't screw this up.

Remember to back up all your files!
When you do a clean install, the hard drive is formatted and wiped clean.
Items you might want to keep:
-browser bookmarks
-email contacts (and messages if you want to keep them)
-passwords
-other items like pictures, videos,MP3s
-anything else you want to keep

DarrinSav

I had the HDD replaces around a month ago so there isn't anything on there that I can't download. My main concern was making sure I clicked on the right buttons when asked questions. I have never done this before.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Before you format the hard drive and do a clean install of Windows 7, do the following:

Right-click MY COMPUTER, then click Properties - Hardware - Device Manager.

Advise what's listed in these headings:

Display Adapters

IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers

Network Adapters

Sound Video And Game Controllers

----------------------------------------------------

Is that computer a desktop or a laptop/notebook?

What's its brand name, model name, and model number?

---------------------------------------------------

Snagglegaster

Banned
I had the HDD replaces around a month ago so there isn't anything on there that I can't download. My main concern was making sure I clicked on the right buttons when asked questions. I have never done this before.
As long as you have backup copies of any files you need, and can reinstall your software, don't get stressed. If you have run both the Upgrade Adviser and the Windows 7 Compatibility check for potential software and driver issues, and it all looks good, you really can't screw up the installation; just select a Custom Installation instead of an upgrade, then accept the default settings after that. The Windows 7 installation is by far the quickest, easiest Windows installation ever.

DarrinSav

Well, It done, Everything went fine, The only thing I had a problem with was I had to re-install my ethernet driver. I had that on my motherboard disk. Thank you to everyone that replied.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Installing Windows and hardware in this millenium is not as arachaic as the early days of pc's when you had to manually configure IRQ's and COM ports. Plug and Pray really does work.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online