1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Upgrading (hard drive) help needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Simple2008, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Simple2008

Simple2008 Thread Starter

I'm not sure if you guys help with upgrade info or not?

I have a Dell Inspiron 700m notebook.
    It has an Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.60 GHz 1.59 GHz, 496 MB RAM
    It has 52 GB hard drive

I've figured out how to upgrade RAM and finding one that is compatible with my laptop, but I am having a hard time understanding if an upgrade of an internal hard drive is possible and just where to get?

For example, I can't figure out if this is an internal hard drive or not?

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10005309&prodlist=celebros

2. bigbear

bigbear

My advice would be to check with Dell as their machines can be very picky about what hardware is in installed in them. (I found out the hard way)
    Another thing to consider when choosing what size of drive to get is whether there is any bios limitation on what size of drive the machine can handle (another reason to contact Dell)
    BTW the link is an internal laptop drive

3. Simple2008

So you wouldn't recommend my going someplace else for RAM or hard drive? I've found some from crucial.com (for RAM) that meets the Dell specs to a T (the onlly difference being at crucial it says DDR1 and Dell its says DDR SDRAM) for nearly half the price. Since I can return the item if it doesn't work with my computer, it doesn't seem to be a big gamble...unless it could seriously hurt my laptop? The laptop itself is nearly 3 years old now, so I don't want to put too much money into the upgrade...and it may or may not have issue of overheating and powering off which it only recently did when I was doing a clean reinstall of the OS.

As for the hard drive, I'll look further to see if Dell has any info on it. A quick search on Dell.com didn't really provide any helpful info. But I can live without an internal hard drive upgrade if there are huge compatability issues of going to an non-Dell source.

4. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

You shouldn't have a problem replacing the RAM with the parts from Crucial.com.

The HD on the other hand requires a little research and preparation before replacing as it's the only HDD in the system.

The Service Manual for your laptop doesn't give much info aside from how to physically replace the HDD.
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins700m/en/SM/hdd.htm#wp1084976

Things you first need to find out from Dell.
    - first need to know if the laptop uses an IDE or SATA HDD.
    - does the laptop's BIOS support large HDD's over 120Gb in size?
    - does Dell have their HDD configured a certain way for it to work? (2nd partition for restore files?)

Things you need to get/do yourself:
    - backup all your important data to DVD/CD/external HDD
    - do you have the restore CDs that came with the laptop?
    - can you get all the necessary drivers / BIOS upgrades from Dell's website and put them on a CD?
    - access the Setup/BIOS settings and make sure the laptop recognizes the new HDD correctly
    - access the Setup/BIOS settings and make sure the laptop will boot from CD first
    - go through the Restore CD process

I've done it before with a few laptops, but it's not exactly fun.

If you want to avoid all this hassle and just need extra storage, you should think about just getting an external HDD.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Crucial is amongst the best ram going and I would rather have that than anything Dell would sell.
    The hard drive you selected is fine.

6. Simple2008

Thank you Rich-M,JSanguancheu and bigbear for the responses.

I received the memory from crucial today and installed it after watching about 10 how-to videos on youtube.

Can a mod change the topic title from hard drive to RAM?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704693

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice