1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Upgrading Hardware - First Time Upgrading

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ERTO-MUDD, Oct 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ERTO-MUDD

ERTO-MUDD Thread Starter

Hello,

I am currently wanting to begin the process of upgrading various parts of my computer in the upcoming months. The first item I would like to do upgrade is the RAM. I am currently using 8BG (4x2) and would like to double that. I was thinking of going with the Corsair Vengeance 2x8. Eventually I would like to have a pretty sick gaming computer. As of right now, it can handle a lot but can struggle from time to time if I crank up the graphic settings.

I guess the reason I am posting this is to ask a few questions. Would upgrading RAM be a good starting point if wanting to upgrade other hardware as well. I was thinking of also swapping out the video card, cpu, and adding some fans (when I get money that is). I must sound like a complete novice right now lol.. but, I am ready to finally go through with this because my computer is starting to feel like it is getting behind the times in terms of speed and performance haha. Anyway, any insight into this topic and or first time upgrading, specifically with the RAM, would be grrreat. Thanks.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    RAM has no effect on graphic settings. And you aren't likely to even be using what you already have. Monitor you RAM usage and see how much you are actually using.

CPU will depend upon the motherboard.

As for what to upgrade first, it will depend upon your current hardware and the source of your current bottleneck.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Instead of spending time and money upgrading the processor, RAM, video card, power supply, etc. and risking running into problems along the way, why don't you invest in a new gaming computer that meets your needs?

I'm guessing you currently have a Dell Studio XPS 8000.

------------------------------------------------------------

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  5. ERTO-MUDD

ERTO-MUDD Thread Starter

Investing on a new gaming computer is an idea I have been thinking about a ton lately, but what would I do with this one I'm using now lol...I guess I could sell it, maybe? haha. I wouldn't even know where to start if I were to sell it tbh. And yes, the Dell Studio XPS 8000 is the computer. It was a gift back in 2009. I have never built a computer from scratch and I do think I could handle it. Sure, it would take me an incredible amount of time compared to others (lol!!!) but, I really want to do it.

6. ERTO-MUDD

ERTO-MUDD Thread Starter

I guess if one were to build from scratch, a new case would be the starting point right? lol. I could invest in a new case, use my Dell parts and other hardware that I decide to buy inside that case, until I can afford a new motherboard, cpu, video card, etc.? Or does that seem completely unreasonable. Wow, not sure where to even start haha. I am so glad I joined this site though. :)

7. ERTO-MUDD

ERTO-MUDD Thread Starter

8. jamesx121

jamesx121

I disagree----
    the first thing you should buy is a Ivy Bridge motherboard.
    brandname & exact board is up to you.
    but everything else ( cpu , ram , video card ) is determined
    by what motherboard you have

the case is determined by what motherboard & cpu cooler
    you will have .
    a lot of aftermarket ( tower style ) cpu coolers need a full ATX
    case to fit.
    some Midtower cases are oversized and work.

start with the motherboard.

9. jamesx121

jamesx121

but for right now why don't you buy a new video card to go
    in your present system. if you go to a Nvidia card with
    DDR5 GPU Memory it should be good for high settings in
    games.

10. jamesx121

jamesx121

I looked at NewEgg
    they have a whole page of different models Nvidia GeForce GTX??? DDR5 PCI-E 2.0
    all around 140.00$ us to 180.00$ us

11. ERTO-MUDD

ERTO-MUDD Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. This is probably the route I will go for now and I was interested in this particular video card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130759). Another dilemma I have is that I am not even sure where to start in terms of compatibility with my current motherboard and specs.

12. ERTO-MUDD

ERTO-MUDD Thread Starter

Also, I know that I have to be aware of the power supply being able to support the new video card that I seek. Is the power supply a component that I will have to check physically in terms of its model, power, etc., or is there a program that can help me with that. I am not finding any program that will assist in that area so I am guessing no lol..

13. jamesx121

jamesx121

You can download Sandra-Lite
    this is a program out of United Kingdom
    the Lite version is free. will scan your system & give you a list of
    all your hardware .

but you will probably need to look inside your case ---
    the video card you linked too requires two (6 pin plug) connectors on your PSU cables

your present video card & new card are both PCI-E 2.0
    which is good.
    just need at least 650 watts of power & two (6 pin plug) PSU connectors.
    Sandra-Lite will tell you how many watts you have.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!