1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Upgrading Parts - Compatibility?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Joshy, Feb 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Joshy

Joshy Thread Starter

Hi,
    So I essentially bought a desktop PC from my dads work cheap and it was a HP xw4600 Workstation but obviously it was slow when trying to use it for gaming. I decided to upgrade the necessary parts and only keep those which dont really matter much as they work fine (DVD drive, HDD) my main problem however was whether or not the parts i chose will be compatible with each other.
    The list of what im upgrading with the part is as follows:

Case(as the old one won't mount any other motherboard): BitFenix Raider Mid-Tower Case. Black -
    CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K LGA1150
    Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z97 Mark 1 ATX LGA1150
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8G (2x4G) DDR3 1600MHz - CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9
    GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960 2GB G1 Gaming 2GB

My other problem is whether or not the current power supply will be able to power all the parts effectively (i believe it's a 450W?)

If anyone has a way of knowing the compatibility and/or whether my power supply will work it would really help me alot.

-Josh

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    First thing I would say is do not, under any circumstances, put that power supply on those parts, it would be asking for trouble. Most prebuilt system only come with a power supply that is just enough to run the factory hardware. You want to be looking at a good quality unit of around 650w or higher. Good units are ones from manufacturers like Corsair (AX, TX and HX models only), Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling or OCZ ... there are others. Look for a 5 year warranty. Do not cut costs on the power supply, especially for a gaming system that will put much higher demands on it.

Motherboard, CPU and RAM look OK to me. A Mid tower case is as small as I would go for a gaming machine, personally I prefer full towers as they provide more room inside which can aid with airflow / cooling. Make sure you do some good cable management when you put it all together i.e. keeping cables out the way to maximise airflow through the heart of the system.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    According to the HP specs that unit has a 475 watt power supply, and the ones in those HP Workstations are high quality units. NVidia recommends a minimum 400 watt power supply for the GTX 960 so it should work. Ideally though you get a new power supply rather than using a 4 to 5 year old power supply that would be run near its limit.

Honestly, you should sell the HP as a whole unit and get all new hardware. At least as a full unit you'll get something out of it. Newer hard drives are faster, DVD drives are dirt cheap, and you'll need a new copy of Windows as well. And wouldn't you want a nice case to go with all that new hardware?

4. Joshy

Joshy Thread Starter

Yeah, i was trying to avoid spending too much on the parts so i think if it'll work ill start using the current one and once i get more money ill buy the cooler master 650W 80 plus gold PSU. as for the windows, the hard drive i have on it is running at 7200 RPM and it's got Windows 10 trial running on it (gonna buy win 10 when its out)

thanks for that

5. Joshy

Joshy Thread Starter

okay so i decided to switch the case with a CiT vanquish but cant work out firstly whether it'll fit the graphics card and secondly if anyone can help me the websites im getting it from are:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MNIGMU4?tag=1life-21#productDetails
    or
    http://www.yoyotech.co.uk/cit-vanqu...window-2-x-12cm-green-led-fans-cscitvanquishg
    (second looks more reliable)
    but i cant find the delivery price on amazon n yoyotech said something like 3 pounds but i dont think thats accurate (UK to Perth, West Australia?)

6. Dougx789

Dougx789

amazon gives you two choices;

ADMI - who only list delivery upto Europe Zone 3

Or

Directly from Amazon who list their global shipping costs as

Australia
    Amazon are listing the weight as 6Kg so it will cost you the same as the cost of the case to have it delivered.

Yoyotech -
    I suggest you e-mail them prior to placing an order.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is almost impossible to tell you if the video card will fit. The spec sheet for that card list it's length at 9.5" so that would be your issue. The dimensions given for your case only list HxLxW and do not give any info on interior dimensions. It will probably fit however you may have to remove a hd cage or do some other minor mods.

Remember the operative word here is probably.

I agree; you need a new pw supply. From what I can find online, that system is approx 6~7yrs old. Most quality pw supplies last 5~7yrs with normal use; trying to reuse that old pw supply is really asking for a problem. In short, get a new quality pw supply. Good ie recommended brands; corsair [only hx, tx, or ax models] seasonic, or FSP [only the units with the 5yr warranty]

8. Joshy

Joshy Thread Starter

Thanks,
    I am actually thinking in the end of going with Cooler Master 650W 80Plus Gold Semi Modular ATX Power Supply if i can afford it and i'll try contact yoyotech to work out what their price of shipping is

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142449

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice