1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Upgrading PC - which graphics card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by malcolm archer, Jan 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. malcolm archer

malcolm archer Thread Starter

I am about to upgrade my PC and have a limited budget (£500) to do so. The models I am considering have 3GB RAM and use either the Radeon HD3450 (256MB) graphics card or the GeForce 9300ge (256MB) graphics card.
    I wouldn't class myself as a games enthusiast, but do enjoy periodically playing D&D type role playing games such as Spellforce, Fable etc. I'm not into on-line gaming.
    My concern is with regard to the video graphics capability. I've tried Googling the above graphics cards and can only really establish that these are bottom end, but cannot find any references to comparisons between the two. Any advice greatly received. My thanks in anticipation. :confused:

2. BG-0

BG-0

I would say 3450 is a little better, but if the 9300 one has even a little better CPU, then that's propably the better one to go for.

3. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Hmm. Tough one to say, really. I would go with the Nvidia, for the same basic reason as BG- he likes ATI, I like Nvidia ( no offence meant!). I think we would pretty much disagree which is better, but thats a personal call. In terms of performance, theres not a lot to choose- one is better for some games, the other for others. For browsing, work apps etc, theres no real diference.
    I think you will find a lot of opinions, so if ones cheaper, go with it, otherwise whicheder is the nicer colour <g>. :)

4. BG-0

BG-0

I'll try to make my point a bit more clear: I basically meant whatever gulo listed in his post, the difference between the cards is so minimal that all other factors matter more.

5. malcolm archer

malcolm archer Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention the CPUs. The PC with the GeForce graphics card uses an Intel Pentium Dual core E2200, 2.2GHz (800MHz bus), and the PC with the Radeon graphics card uses an AMD Athlon (x2) 4450e, 2.3GHz 1000MHz bus). Both 1MB processor cache.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!