1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Upgrading processor from PII to PIII - IBM 300PL

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Snickers13, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Snickers13

Snickers13 Thread Starter

I am having trouble upgrading my IBM 300PL (6892) from PII to a PIII. I installed the processor, moved the switches to 450 Mhz as directed by the inside of the cover. Now every time I try to boot up, it tells me error 167 no processor BIOS update found. I have downloaded the BIOS update from IBM (nvjt58A 300PL) put it in, but it tells me the udated BIOS is not any newer than the one I have in there already.
    When I just exit out of the error message, it tells me there is no hard drive. I have tried several hard drives, which work fine in my other computer and they all do the same thing.
    What can I do next?
    Thanks for any ideas.
    Snickers13

2. onsite

onsite

you flashed the bios ?
    did you clear the cmos?

3. Snickers13

No I didn't clear the CMOS, was I suppose to do that before or after I flashed the BIOS?

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

First I would do like was said and flash the bios to the latest one. Then I would also look into the bios and look for an option in your BIOS (probably in the advanced settings) that says something like: "processor updating" and you should set this to "disabled"
    your BIOS for this option.

Between the 2 you should knock out the error.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You should update the BIOS before switching processors, if you need to(which you don't if they are the same version). And make sure you are changing the jumpers correctly, you may be invoking a BIOS recovery by accident.

6. prunejuice

prunejuice

There is no BIOS update for an IBM 300PL to support greater than 450Mhz procs.
    I've looked.

That's why I have one sitting here on the floor beside my test rig so I can rest my drinks on.

7. Snickers13

IT WORKS!!!! Thankyou so much for your wisdom. I did as you said and disabled the processor update in the BIOS and just like that all errors were gone and I have a PIII IBM now. I can't thank you enough.
    I work with seniors and help them with their computers (I am a senior also). I try to get them over the fear of messing them up and when they do, I try to fix them. Quite a task, as we are learners but not as fast as we used to be!!!!
    Thanks again.
    Snickers13

8. Snickers13

Thanks for your input. I double checked the jumpers and they were ok. The problem was with the processor update in the BIOS. I turned it off and now it works great.
    Thanks again
    Snickers13

9. Snickers13

I know what you mean, however, the seniors I work with do not have a lot of money to buy the new machines, so we work on getting the old ones up and going for them to use.
    Thanks
    Snickers13

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!