1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Upgrading to win 7 from xp, with new HD's.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Bumbledor, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bumbledor

Bumbledor Thread Starter

Ok, im about to do an upgrade from xp to win 7 on 2 computers. both have small HD's, 120G's or less and I just got 2 new 1TB drives.

Should I go ahead and pre-format them before attempting to install windows 7, or should I just install them, load the windows 7 disk and let it do it?

I intend on having both windows xp and windows 7 available for the 2 people, when they boot up, They will have to choose.
    This way they can make sure all their files are transfered over to windows 7 before we wipe them and turn the smaller drives into storage drives (drive d or e).

Thanks for your help.

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

3. rainforest123

rainforest123

On separate removable hard drives or dual booting on a single HDD?

4. Bumbledor

Bumbledor Thread Starter

Separate hard drives.

I'm going to leave windows XP set up on the smaller 120gig hard drives, and put windows 7 on a new 500 gig one.

I plan on doing this to both machines. Oh, each machine is like, 200 miles apart from each other, that's why I am doing both.
    What ever I run, she has to run, so I can use mine to trouble shoot hers over the phone.. or tell her how to do something..

You know what I mean? Mom is retired, and pretty good with computers, considering shes over 70, but still I get calls asking me how to do stuff and it makes it easier if we are both running the same software.

After she feels safe with widows 7 and thinks shes got all her personal files transferred over, I will have her format the smaller drive to use it as a file storage drive. I.E make it the D drive, or whatever.

Just not sure if I should format the new HD first, or let Windows 7 setup do it? . I intend on disabling the 120 gig, during the install process for windows 7, then when finished, allow her to choose at start up, which OS to run..

Or is there an easier way to do this?

Thanks.

5. rainforest123

rainforest123

The W7 install process includes a format.

The answer depends upon many factors. That which works for me might not be easier for you.

Good for your mother that she has a child willing to take such good care of her.

I have no experience with remote desktop access in W7.

RF123

6. Rearden

Rearden Banned

Do the older computers support 1TB drives? They're probably SATA. Do the older computers have those ports, and do they recognize the large size? Sometimes older computers need BIOS updates to support large drives, and that can be risky.

If you're installing Windows 7 on a new drive, then the Windows 7 install needs to be a full version and not an upgrade. Installing on a new drive separate from the existing Windows XP install means you would switch between operating systems by changing the boot drive in the BIOS. The other option would be to set up a dual-boot system, but I've never done that and can't comment on the process.

7. Bumbledor

Bumbledor Thread Starter

Both systems are less than 5 years old, and are compatible and able to run windows 7 according to The source where I got the mother boards from.

And yes, they will be dual boot systems. These will be fresh new full version installs from OEM software.

8. golddust

golddust

You're going to need to update most of your drivers as well - xp and 7 have a lot differences where drivers are concerned.

9. rainforest123

rainforest123

By dual boot do you mean that both of the HDDs will be inte computer simultneously? If so, will the user select the boot drive using the BiOS boot menu or a boot manager?

RF123

10. rainforest123

rainforest123

gold dust is correct about different drivers, but the W7 DVD has a lot of drivers on it. BUT up to date drivers are usually the better choice.

RF123

11. Bumbledor

Bumbledor Thread Starter

Yes both HD's will be in the computer at the same time.. and she will be able to choose which one to use.

12. Bumbledor

Bumbledor Thread Starter

Of course.. that goes with the upgrade...

13. rainforest123

rainforest123

Bumbledor:
    Now, I understand. It takes a while, some times.

What's next on the list?
    :)

RF123

14. Bumbledor

Bumbledor Thread Starter

Well, the stuff arrived today. First, do my system, and get it going.. then next week, drive 4 hours and set up hers and stick around for a few days to get hers running properly..

15. rainforest123

rainforest123

Bumbledor:
    2 (y)

Best of success.

You know where to find us.

unsubscribed

RF123

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!