1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] upgrading to WINDOWS ME full install (not sure what 2 do now)

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by {TRM}Rooster, Oct 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. {TRM}Rooster

{TRM}Rooster Thread Starter

ok, heres how it goes. i reformatted my hard disk and deleted all partitions, i had windows 98 and want to upgrade to windows me (full install disk). Can any1 help cos when i turn it on now it just does a RAM check and then doesnt do anything. it is a pentium 120Mhz and 64MB RAM ( its quite old ). If any1 could help i would appreciate it.

2. bandit429

bandit429

What kind of computer is it?

3. {TRM}Rooster

its just a made up one. there isnt a make. it was my aunties anyway so i dont even know when she got it.

4. bandit429

bandit429

Ok,,,,you power on with a bootdisk in the floppy drive an it doesnt do anything?,,,,does the light on the come on? At the top or somewhere it should say which Bios and a version,,,what are they?

5. {TRM}Rooster

it says "Award Modular, BIOS version 4.51PG, An Energy Star Ally.
    Copyright Award Software"

6. {TRM}Rooster

and the light comes on too

7. bandit429

bandit429

At power on start tapping the del key,,,,,once your at the bios menu,, look through the options till you see one that may say boot options,,or somthing similar,,,you want the floppy to boot first. Save your changes and exit,,,then power on with the floppy disc in the drive again. Im trying to find a tutorial of your bios so I can see all your menu options,,,,if you get it before i find one let me know so I can stop looking.

8. {TRM}Rooster

it doesnt say boot options or anything like that but the win 98 boot disk loads sometimes and i get 3 options - with cd-rom support, without and help

9. bandit429

bandit429

10. bandit429

bandit429

Also one thing more,,,,,,,if your hard drive is over 8gb this could be a problem for you. Its not is it??

11. {TRM}Rooster

no, lol its only 2

12. bandit429

bandit429

Thats a little small,,,,,but give it a shot,,,I don t know what the minimum requirements are but I would say your at the limit. Follow the instruction in the link at the bottom an that should get you there,,,I have done it that way many times.

http://www.amazingtechs.com/tutorials/fdiskall.htm

13. {TRM}Rooster

ok il try that, give me a few mins

14. {TRM}Rooster

does this mean that i can install windown ME now or do i still have to have windows 98?

15. {TRM}Rooster

thanks, u really helped, WOOHOO it works now

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172807

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice