Solved: upgrading to Windows XP professional

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Larssons

While trying to upgrade from Windows 98SE to XP professional I get a compatibility message that says upgrade is blocked because my HPT366 ultra ATA/66 IDE controller is not compatible. Is there anything I can do, such as a driver upgrade?

You can take the controller card out and connect the hard drive to the motherboard IDE to get thru the install . . then look around for a current driver for the card. . if you can't find one, probably will have to buy a new one.

You are performing a clean install? . . Installing XP over the top of win98 is asking for problems.

Larssons

I was going to upgrade from Windows 98, but a clean install is an option. Maybe this is a stupid question, but, what does the controller card look like (ie: in a pci slot, or connected to the mother board?) If I remove it and install Windows XP will the computer boot up. I think I already have an updated driver for it that is designed for Win XP and 2000, but don't know if I should update the driver before or after the XP install.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You really don't want to upgrade from W98, especially if this is hardware that's old enough to have an ancient IDE controller.

A clean install is always preferable to an upgrade, but I suspect that would be problematic with this hardware too.

Larssons

Thanks, I will just add a bigger hard drive and a little more memory. I was really just trying to upgrade it a little for my nephew.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online