Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[Solved] Upgrading to XP

668 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Dan O 
#1 ·
Hi. I now am running win98. I want to upgrade to winXP, but also keep 98 in case I'm not happy with XP. My computer is Compaq 5360 AMD K6-2 450mhz 40GB HD 320mb ram. My questions are...

1. Will I need to make another partition? Now with 2 at 30-10GB

2. If so, do I need to reformat that partition?

3. If so, will partition magic do that for me?

4. Is partition magic easy enough for a computer challenged type like myself to use?

Thanks for any advice, and NICE board!!

#2 ·
1. Will I need to make another partition? Now with 2 at 30-10GB

You don't have to. Windows XP can be placed into another folder. But it is best to create a separate partition and use NTFS to get the best performance and security features.

2. If so, do I need to reformat that partition?

You can or Windows XP can when it installs.

3. If so, will partition magic do that for me?

Sure it can but I will let Windows XP do it.

4. Is partition magic easy enough for a computer challenged type like myself to use?

It is very easy and has Wizard if you want to use them.

#3 ·
On question 1, you said to use NTFS. ??? Also, if I put XP in another folder without a new partition, how will I be able to boot up into either XP or win98? Will I be able to use either one? If I sound computer illiterate, it's cause I am. Thanks again.

#4 ·
You can have two partitions - keep your win98 partition, then make another blank partition with Fdisk.

When you install XP, tell it to use the second partition and have it format it with NTFS (NT File System).

Also when you install, choose the dual boot option which will give you a menu when you start up your computer that asks you which operating system you would like to boot into.

If you already have two partitions and are happy with their size you can erase the second one and install XP on it, otherwise you definitely can use Partition Magic to resize them to your liking! That might be the best idea.

Any other questions please feel free to ask!

Good luck!:)

#5 ·
As Rikku stated, NTFS stands for (NT File System). It's an advanced file system supported by NT, 2000, and XP. Other versions of Windows and MS-DOS cannot see or access it. So it must be installed in it own partition. Windows XP comes with a boot manager, which allow you to install XP any where you want, even in the same partition as your old Windows is installed. The Windows XP installer will do all the setup for you. How it works is, you will be presented with a boot menu, allowing you to pick Windows XP or Windows. Just use the up and down arrrow keys and depress the Enter key to select which one you want.

#7 ·
I personally just partitioned a new 40GB hard drive I have to 6, 10, 24. 6GB is plenty of room for Windows XP and lot of applications, which is a manageable size to backup using a drive image utility such as Ghost or DriveImage. I use my second partition for data and the third partition for Music and backup images.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.