1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] Upgrading to XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by john0109, Jan 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. john0109

john0109 Thread Starter

We have heard that Microsoft will no longer support NT soon. We have 7 NT 4.0, 350Mhz workstations that we would like to update to XP. These computers have 6Gb hard drives. Each is divided into three 2 GB partions. Each machine has their C drive mostly full. I think the C drive is FAT (I'm not sure what that means). D & E are mostly empty. In order to update, MicroSoft says we need about 1.2 GB of free space.

Since we don't have the space on the C drive partition, we were wondering if there is some third party software that could remove the partitions without losing our files and programs.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    John

2. tlund_99

tlund_99

Partition Magic 7.0 would be the best and easiest.Go to Powerquest.com for more info although you can get the program at most office supply stores,OfficeDepot,Officemax,Staples or CompUSA.$69.00 with a $20.00 rebate....Tom

3. BugMaster

BugMaster

FAT is a file system. You probably have either a 16-bit system (FAT16), a 32-bit system (FAT32), or even more likely, NTFS (Windows NT file system). A rundown of them follows.

FAT16 - backward compatible with every version of Windows 95, MS-DOS, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows XP, and Windows 2000/NT. Little security.

FAT32 - not compatible with early Win95 versions or old MS-DOS. Better space usage than FAT16. Faster too.

NTFS - Not compatible with MS-DOS, any version of Windows 9x (including ME). Only compatible with Windows NT/2000/XP. Awesome security, and supports encryption. Cannot convert back to FAT system without PartitionMagic or similar program.

If you have NT, you probably have NTFS.

Since you are planning to upgrade, I recommend that you use Windows XP Professional (not 64 bit). It more fully supports the NTFS encryption and security. (Home Edition supports no encryption.) You can choose which system to use in the WinXP setup.

Use PartitionMagic's merge partition feature to merge your partitions into one. You still may not have enough HD space. My setup uses about 2 gigs minimum, plus all your documents.

4. john0109

john0109 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info. If I understand it --
    1) I could install Partition Magic on my existing NT4.0 FAT 2Gb C drive.

2) Use Partition Magic to remove the partions to make one 6 Gb drive without losing and data or the ability to run any programs.

3) Then upgrade to XP professional

Is this correct or am I missing sothething?

Thanks again
    John:

5. Dan O

Dan O

I personally like to keep my data separate from my operating system (OS) and programs. Then you can use a disk image utility, such as Ghost or DriveImage to backup and restore the OS and Programs in mintues, not in days.

Instead of installing Partition Magic on each PC, legally you would need a separate copy for each PC, I would create a floppy set and move it from PC to PC.

Like BugMaster suggested I would use Partition Magic's merge feature. Merge the second partitiion with the first, creating a 4GB parition leaving the third for data. I would then move all data to the third partition. Then install Windows XP selecting the upgrade option and convert to NTFS for the first partition.

As a precaution whenever working with disk partitions or moving files you should backup your data to another media, just in case a problem does occur. You can use a tape, CD-RW, or floppy diskettes. You need only backup your data, as the OS and applications can be reinstalled.

You can take your time as Microsoft will not drop NT support too fast, I believe.

6. tlund_99

tlund_99

7. john0109

john0109 Thread Starter

Thanks for the help again.

Looks like I have another year to procrastinate. I think I will try the conversion on one of the less important machines.

John

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66446

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice