1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Upgrading Video Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Darkicon, Nov 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Darkicon

Darkicon Thread Starter

Since the video card industry has gone fairly insane over the past few years, I'm not good at upgrading video cards. I'm upgrading from a Sapphire Radeon HD4670 1GB. I'm thinking about an EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti Fermi 1GB since I can get a refurb for $70.

How much of an upgrade is that? Or, alternatively, you can suggest a better card for under $90, preferably with HDMI and PCI-E v2.0.

2. dai

dai

3. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    On paper the 550ti is quite a substantial increase over the 4670, see here.

As dai says, you will most likely need a PSU upgrade aswell. What is the exact make and model of you current machine as you should also check that your case can physically fit a standard size PSU. Quite a few 'big brand' manufacturers use their own proprietary PSUs which are not standard sizes.

4. Darkicon

Darkicon Thread Starter

I have an old full ATX tower I picked up at least a decade ago at a computer show (Verre V770) but yeah, I figured I'd need to upgrade my PSU as well.

Thanks for the help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!