1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Upgrading XP to 7 keeping ALL folders and software

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ishamm, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ishamm

ishamm Thread Starter

i am looking to upgrade some office PCs from XP to 7 Pro, but need to be certain it will keep EVERYTHING working. how can i go about this? i have read Microsofts instructions online but they seem to suggest it will wipe and need to rebuild the hard drive. it must be possible to perform a mac-style simple upgrade from one to the other right?
    everything is backed up on onsite and offsite servers etc, but i would prefer to not have to re-install EVERYTHING, not least because we dont have a lot of the software cds around anymore
    can anyone help
    thanks

2. Ccucu

Ccucu

sorry you will need to backup ur files and reinstall your programs

3. ishamm

ishamm Thread Starter

ah ok what a pain
    thanks for replying.

4. stantley

stantley

Even if you did have the install CD's they would be rather old and possibly not compatible with Windows 7. You'd be better off installing the newest versions of these programs.

If there are old programs that you paid for and you prefer not to buy the latest version you can substitute freeware programs for most of them.

5. jailhousews

jailhousews

No you can't do an in-place upgrade (retain documents and programs) from Windows XP to Windows 7, only from Vista to 7.

There are a couple ways around this, though. You could borrow a copy of Vista from someone and do an upgrade install from XP to Vista, and then do another upgrade install from Vista to 7. No need to use a product key to register the copy of Vista, as you will not be keeping it. Here's a link for more info: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/...ect-in-place-upgrade-windows-xp-to-windows-7/

There is also third-party software you can buy that allows a direct XP to 7 upgrade, and would probably be cheaper than if you bought new software to replace what you'd lose, although not if you used freeware.
    http://www.laplink.com/pcmover/pcmoverupgradeassistant.html

Be warned, I'll repeat what stantly said: many programs that were released for XP will not work in 7.

6. ishamm

ishamm Thread Starter

thanks for the info on the 3rd party software jailhousews, i thought there must be a way around microsofts rediculous upgrading methods! they have very little software on the machines, all of which should work on 7, its just the mountains of data that would be a real pain to take off/put back on. i'll take a look at that method.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972772

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice