Solved: Urgent, can I copy old registry backups to external media before they're overwritten?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ms. Mia

Hi! I just inherited a buggy Toshiba Satellite laptop (circa 1999 or 2000) with w98SE. After working at fixing it up for a day, I ended up having to do scanreg /restore. The restore points ranged between last December and the day I got it, 6/29/05, since it had rarely been used. I chose the 6/29 one (things went kaput on 6/30) and was able to boot to windows finally, but am seeing I'll have a lot of little weirdnesses to iron out that seem to have happened during the ordeal. No one I've talked to can be sure if it was something I did or if it was destined to happen anyway.

I think I saw someone mention that they had saved good registry backups that could be used by scanreg /restore in the future, on CD or something. I haven't even taught myself to burn CDs yet and will soon... But for now, if this is possible at all, can I copy one or more of the old registry backups onto an 80 GB external USB hard drive I have? I don't want to lose the old dates as soon as I have rebooted on a few more days. Not only because I don't entirely trust my own tinkering, but because the oldest of the dates I saw is from before the original owner got revop.a (my cleaning of which may have caused some of the problems leading up to the scanreg /restore).

How do I copy the old registries, if it's possible? Thanks so much anyone! And happy holidays to those for whom this is a holiday! :)

Ms. Mia:
Without spending a lot of words on detail you may not need, here is an answer for you:
YES. You can back up the saved registry files.
They will be named RB001.CAB, RB002.CAB, RB003.CAB, RB004.CAB, RB005.CAB. There may be more, but 5 is the default number of backups saved.
The registry files that are in current use are SYSTEM.DAT and USER.DAT. If you do a registry backup today, these two files will be combined into one RBxxx.CAB file with today's date, and will replace one of the previous backup files. RB, of course, implies Registry Backup
I hope this helps. If you have more questions, please don't hesitate to post them here.
Cordially,
Cronista

Ms. Mia

Yay, thank you Cronista! Just knowing it was possible and what file names to look for, I somehow managed to navigate to the MS backup utility and find/select only those .cabs to backup. The fact that the system has a workable backup already now wasn't comforting enough, I wanted to be able to go back to before I started toying as well... Because while in some ways I know I'll manage to optimize and secure greatly, in other ways... well, I can be impulsive about tinkering with what various things mean and do!

One more question if you happen to know the answer... I see that there is a separate program called Simple Backup on this machine. Shows in add/remove progs, and I read the readme file from explorer, and sounds like it does the same thing (using something called smartdrv or similar). Does that mean this system is using that program to create backups rather than microsoft's? Or since the scanreg /restore command did work, does that mean it is indeed using MS's utility? Or... am I perceiving of connections/ conflicts/choices that don't even exist?? My simplistic logic is telling me I need to decide on one, and possibly remove the Simple Backup program...?

Ms. Mia:
I'm glad I could enlighten you a bit, help you understand the backup CAB situation.
However, as for the rest of your questions, e.g. Simple Backup, I will have to let others step in here. I am familiar only with Win98 and there are subtle differences in the backup features for Win98, Win98ME, Win98SE etc.
I'll let go one Parthian shot here, though. If I were you, having that 80 GB External Hard Drive, I would just back up all my personal stuff. That way I would be able to re-install Windows in its original form and then put my stuff back in when everything was up and running. In my case, if I back up My Documents, I will have backed up everything I couldn't afford to lose. I make sure that any personal stuff (correspondence, photos, databases, work-related, etc.) are somewhere in My Documents and not scattered elswhere throughout the system. That way, I just drag the My Documents folder to a CD or external HD and sleep well.
Cordially,
Cronista

Ms. Mia

Ok, looks like Simple Backup can backup to CD whereas MS's backup can't, so it's fine to have both.

Good idea about saving all personal data in the same area! Sometimes we need to have the simple things pointed out most of all! I haven't been doing that but am going to start.

Thanks again. :eek:)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online