1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: URGENT!!!!!!!Computer shuts down!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by elvla2, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. elvla2

elvla2 Thread Starter

Computer Specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
    EVGA 132-YW-E180-A1 NVIDIA nForce 790i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
    4GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1800
    2 Western Digital 320GB SATA
    1 LG Bluray DVD-ROM/ DVD R/W
    1 ULTRA PSU 750 Watts LSP750
    XFX Nvidia GEForce 9800GX2 1GB

I built it and when I turn it on I get a display, but after a minute or two it turns off by itself.

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to all of you.

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

My first two guesses would either be the processor overheating or the power supply is dropping out.

Normally, when a processor overheats it doesn't take it two minutes. An Ultra Power Supply is a pretty minimal power supply to try to run two 9800 series cards. Does the exhaust air coming out of the power supply seem unusually hot?

3. elvla2

elvla2 Thread Starter

I only have one 9800GX2 1GB Video Card.

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

Is the air being exhausted from the power supply fairly hot?

5. elvla2

elvla2 Thread Starter

Its not hot, regular temperature. I also was running this machine with the side pannel open.

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

Take a digital multi-meter with a set of needle probes and when the machine is running probe the +12v connectors on the main power plug where it plugs into the board (yellow wires) and see if you are getting a drop in voltage before the machine shuts off.

You will need to test each +12v line individually.

7. elvla2

elvla2 Thread Starter

I will try this test today and 2morrow I will post again.

Thank you win2kpro, you are the best

8. gstraub

gstraub

You say that you get a display, is it the post display or does windows boot up completely?

9. elvla2

elvla2 Thread Starter

I don't have Windows installed but I went into the bios change the date, save and reboot. And when I went to install Windows and shows "Press any key to install Windows" I pressed any key and right there it just shuts off.

10. gstraub

gstraub

I assume you are installing from a disc, make sure that you set the first boot device to your cd/dvd drive and you set allow boot from cd, in the bios setup. The bios will shut down the computer if it can't find an operating system.

11. replay

replay

never seen that happen :confused:

do u have the heatsink attached right? try reseating it (u may have to reapply the thermal paste)

12. win2kpro

win2kpro

I guess I misunderstood your first post. I thought the machine was booting, and then shutting down after a couple of minutes. If you don't have Windows installed, then you don't need to test the power supply at this time.

13. elvla2

elvla2 Thread Starter

I changed the Video Card and replaced it with a lower one, plus I had to take out a hard drive. And it worked!!!!!! It let me do everything, I even installed Windows and the drivers. Do you think it might be the power supply?

14. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

From reading all above, yes it does sound like the PSU. You have reduced the power consumption by changing cards and taking out a HD, so it seems you havent enough power. It might be that the amps for the 9800 from the PSU arent enough ( quite likely really).
    thats not saying the PSU is faulty, its probably fine, just not enough for what you have. I am not good with US suppliers/ parts ( gime UK I can give you plenty hehe), but I am sure someone can recommend a good one that isnt too expensive :)

15. win2kpro

win2kpro

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!